cavity wall insulation

Hi Just had a bloke up to inspect the house for cavity wall insulation and he says that they can only do the front and back wall and not the gable wall as I have a garage at the side of the house. Why can they not do it? Health and bloody Safety. Not allowed to stand on the garage roof.

So next time the wife wants the outside off the window painted I can tell her that health and safety won't let me do it. :-)

So is it worth while just doing the front and back of a semi for £125? Company is employed by electricity supplier.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Can they not do the gable wall from inside the garage ?

Reply to
Kevin

no because they would only be able to do the bottom of the wall and the upstairs part would be un insulated and cause problems Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had the front of my house done from the inside because I didn't want the very narrow mortar joints messed up.

Of course it depends on your decorations and as mine was just emulsioned, I simply went over it again.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Or even, shock horror, use some approved access method, like scaffolding or a cherry picker.

Typical of things these days, particulary installation offers. Anything slightly out of the ordinary and they "can't do it".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What's the roof made of, corrugated asbestos? If it is felt on boards they should be able to work off that. Try another firm.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Utter garbage. The company I worked for did jobs like this every day of the week, we even walked across conservatory rooves, put ladders on sloping rooves to reach higher parts of the walls and /occasionally/ got scaffold erected. The bloke is talking through his arse, get another firm out, almost all of them have these grants to give away.

Reply to
Phil L

I phoned up EDF Energy about what the contracter said and the person from EDF Energy said she had never heard such rubbish. Even she suggested a cherry picker. She is going to report to the project manager and they will get back in touch with me.

Mark

Reply to
Tricia

I phoned up EDF Energy about what the contracter said and the person from EDF Energy said she had never heard such rubbish. Even she suggested a cherry picker. She is going to report to the project manager and they will get back in touch with me.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

It may be but H&S regulations now state that if working above about 6' you must have safety rails and a harness! Haven't you noticed how $ky woks are all now installed at ground floor ceiling level not up at the eves like they used to be.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

By blokes wearing climbing hats while up a ladder about 5' high.

Reply to
Guy King

Any chance of a translation to English?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Pot, kettle, black see your posts to uk.sci.weather

Reply to
Paul Herber

If you want a translation you only have to ask.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Look at houses

that have recently installed satellite television dishes for the service from Sky

that are at the boundary between the ground floor ceiling and first floor floor.

Older installations would have the dish installed up at eves level or even on chimneys.

Clear enough?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi the roof they are afraid to climb upon

Mark