cavity wall insulation

Doctor Drivel explained on 06/08/2005 :

Difficult to work out just doing what made what difference. It was part of a program of improvements. The impression was that the outside walls became quite a bit warmer in winter and in summer it remains cooler.

The combined result of all of the changes has been a very noticeable improvement in reducing fuel used, but more important the biggest difference has been in comfort levels with no cold spots anywhere in the house.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Same here. Both loft and cavity insulation was done early this year. The loft was an added to, added to insulation and is now about 8 inches, or more thick.

When the cavity insulation was done and I took a temperature reading of the outside wall in our kitchen and compared it with an interior one on the day of the insulation, there was a 9 degree C difference. These days, even in the cold late winter, my one luxury in life, my half pound of butter a month, spread easily. In the cold old days I would have to chip it off the block and place it on the bread :-)

As you say, the comfort level has improved very noticeably.

Fuel consumption will have to be checked after the insulation has been in place for at least a year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What are the initial results? You must have had your first bill by now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What type of insulation did you have in the cavity? Apparently there are a few different types. Cheers Neil

Reply to
Neil

*iss off and go and play with your abacus. you know jack shit about accounting.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It was like some one else describes as light fluffy fibres. That is all I can describe it as. It made a big difference though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I hope it doesn't work, you paid too much for it and it causes damp.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know this is slightly off-topic since not technically a DIY job, but could I ask what thoughts people have on Cavity Wall Insulation.

I recall years ago that it sometimes had a bad name since it stopped the airflow in the cavity and so could cause damp problems. At least I think that is what was said negatively about it.

I have a 1900-ish mid-terraced house with the outer leaf stone and the inner wall brick. It's nice and cool in summer but can get damn freezing in winter.

My local supplier Powergen is offering CWI for £75 installed. Seems a good price to me.

Any comments please? Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

To me too. Although it depends on the area of wall to be filled I suppose.

We had it done years ago and have been impressed. The whole house is certainly more comfortable- but you'll still need heating in winter and shade in summer.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

get it down. at £75. i paid £225 and would do it again for double the price couldnt belive the difference it made to our house. the materials they use should not transmit water across. they should do an inspection first. if damp is appearing then that would be an internal dpc matter

mick

Reply to
mick

Having not stated how much I paid, you are once again talking doctor drivel language :-)

Dave

ps.

It works. I paid less than most would have to pay, due to a council employee grant and damp is only caused by foam insulation.

What a *anker you are.

pps

My butter self spreads as well :-)

Reply to
Dave

Stop making things up.

Stop making things up, you have damp.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its the second best thing you could do after loft insulation. It will probably pay for itself after the first winter - as long as your heating system is on thermostatic controls

dg

Reply to
dg

How did you manage to get a quote so low off them - is it a special offer?

dg

Reply to
dg

So you are so thick you don't know if you have saved money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I believe these are subsidised. If the OP has a detached house that is heated by solid fuel or electricity, then £75 is the going rate.

For me, with a semi that is heated by gas, I would have to fork out £125. I suppose the reasoning is that I am more energy efficient already, using gas so the Gubmint is not willing to subsidise as much as the detached house/electric heating combination.

A detached home heated by gas, oil or LPG will cost £175.

A non-detached home heated by solid fuel or electricity costs only £50 for cavity wall insulation.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I had this done on my 3 bed semi 4/5 years ago. Made a huge differenc keeping the house warm, & cooler than it used to be inside when the su has been on the house all day. In fact, I notice "cold" walls more now eg. the house has an integral garage & this is solid brick between th hall/living room & garage (ie, no cavity or insulation). This goes t show how much heat can be lost through uninsulated walls

-- Pufter

Reply to
Pufter

We had ours done a l-o-n-g time ago (well before there was any hint of grants, we paid full wack). Immediately we noticed that there was condensation on the double glazed window in the kitchen - previously it must have been condensing on the colder walls.

That was proof to us of its efficiency.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for all comments, which are mainly positive. Just got to decide what type and installer. Neil

Reply to
Neil

Inside the garage put Kingspan on the wall and cover with Ply or MDF and then paint. May as well do it properly.

What reduction heating bills?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel