cavity wall

What is the standard width of a cavity wall. I am thinking of using a twin skin of breeze blocks. Are there any particular construction methods that should be followed?

Reply to
nthng2snet

It will depend on the thermal insulation and structural strength required. See the Approved Documents (or Technical Standards in Scotland) to the Building Regulations which will give some 'deemed to comply' methods.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

block 100, gap 100, block 100

but I guess there are may other acceptable combinations.

Reply to
Rick

And the maximum swidth of window board is?

Last job I was on the other carpenter put that 9" stuff on deep set windows in a barn conversion. Even with 2" cavity these days, after insulation and dabbing plasterboards, the width of window board you are looking at has to be nearer 11".

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What exactly is windowboard ?

My walls are 350-450mm stone 100-200mm gap, 100mm block, and still unfinished. do I have troubble on the horizon ?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

well mine is half built at the minute and is 4 inch brick, 65mm gap, 100mm block

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Cill board. It brings the bottom edge of the window out past the interior wall. It is usually made of mdf. Sold in standard lengths of 10 metres or something like that. You can get thinner but I think the widest stock size is only 9 or 9 3/4 inches.

No, you just buy a suitable wide board of a finish you like (such as an

8 x 4 MDF or 3/4 ply or anything you wish, floor board even.)

Then there is any "setting" liquid finish you like from concrete to artex. Bits of sawn up, priceless, irreplaceable antique.

Anything you like. I suggest tile. Then there is quarry tile, paving slab, glass, mosaics of stolen jewelry, sawn up sea shells. You name it. Put thin stuff on 1/2 inch plasterboard. Use an edging strip as thick as the board and the surface.

Be inventive and don't panic. It's not my house.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Yep , I asked my BCO and thats what he wanted aswell. Not forgetting the insulation.

Reply to
nthng2snet