Caustic soda OK for burnt pan?

wrote:

I used to know the answer...

I think you dreamt it. I don't think there was ever any real evidence that aluminium from cookware got into your body.
Anodized aluminium pots are widely available.
-- Richard

But plenty more were made afterwards - mostly to use up spare aluminium manufacturing capacity!
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Not aluminium smelting capacity though - they were just recycling those same Spitfires post-war. The Landrover was bodied in an aluminium alloy because steel was in such short supply, but there was a huge supply of scrap aircraft. The first Landie prototype was panelled with sheet cut literally with an axe from aircraft awaiting disposal.
Owing to concerns over alloy quality, almost none of the pans were ever used for Spitfires. For years there was a large dump of them (Welsh quarry somewhere?)
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com saying something like:

Which seems daft. If a wing fell off, the pilot had a 'chute. Besides, there were plenty of other uses for recycled ally in non-critical apps, like radio chassis.
--

Dave

http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id
Mine wasn't. I have an old aluminium pan and an aluminium pressure cooker both inherited from the four bears. Can't say either of them get much use but they don't appear to have done me any harm. I know that because I can still ummm, sorry what was the question again?
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Plenty about. Many cheap frying pans still are aluminium, and lots of older saucepans.
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

========================There was a strong suggestion about 20 years ago that the use of aluminium cooking vessels was a contributory cause of Alzheimer's disease. I don't know whether anything was fully proved but I know many people discarded their aluminium pots and pans in favour of stainless or Teflon. Apparently aluminium pressure cookers were regarded as safe because cooking was done by steam rather than by being immersed in boiling water.
Cic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 396 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Rather the opposite really
I don't think there was ever a strong suggestion scientifically, but it seemed to catch media/public attention. In 1997 the WHO declared that al wasn't health risk for those not exposed to it at work, and no evidence that it was primary cause of Alzheimer's. And anyway, the amount of Al that gets into food through cooking in contact with Al is very low. Though it's best not to use it with highly acidic foods as it can taint the food.

I've got an Al pressure cooker and couple of uncoated Al pans I picked up along the way somewhere. My Mum still has and uses her set of Swan pans she has had for ever AFAIK. New EU regs came in in I think 2004 tht I think effectively bans uncoated Aluminum.
I much prefer much good quaity anodised and non-stick Al pans to Stainless steel ones.
--
Chris French

When post mortems were done on people who had died with Alzheimer's they were sometimes found to have small collections of aluminium salts in their brain.
That was the only link.
The media made the most of it - as they do - and the public mostly believe what they see on tv so it became a fact.
Some other corpses also had the aluminium in their brain, by the way ...
Mary

======================Recent news items have suggested that Alzheimer's disease can be prevented by drinking orange juice several times a week. I wonder if the orange juice clears the aluminium from the brain.
Cic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 416 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

I hope orange juice doesn't get into my brain!
Mary

==========================It's an organic brain-washer - very good for you.
Cic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 416 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

that sounds like the voice of experience.
Enzyme May Help Fight Alzheimer's
In tests with mice and fruit flies, an enzyme appeared to both eliminate the tangles and reduce the brain's decline. Much of Alzheimer's research has focused on so-called amyloid plaques, a buildup of proteins inside the brain between cells that appears to contribute to dementia. It's not clear if tangles hurt brain cells or are just a symptom of a dementia problem. The point is that they're totally correlated with neurodegeneration in Alzheimer's disease, and in a number of other dementias.
i got this information from http://medical-health-care-information.com/Health-news/9-8-Enzyme-May-Help-Fight-Alzheimer 's.htm i would like to share it with others because i fid it useful.
Cicero wrote:

Florida on my mind?
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

Not for me, thanks :-)
Mary

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:44:14 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Indeed not, it might start a precedent if something got in there after so many years of vacuum.
Cicero wrote:

What would happen if you drank your orange juice from an aluminium cup?
David

Our chip pan was aluminium.
I say *was* because I had this demon idea for removing the 20 years of gunk on it that wouldn't come off despite repeated dishwashings, soakings, applications of chemicals, WHY. I removed the plastic handle and put it on the next garden bonfire I had. It seemed to work well initially - the clots of gunge started to burn away merrily.
I should have stayed and watched. It melted. I do have a nice puddle shaped ingot of aluminium now, though.
--
"Other people are not your property."