cat flap in DG door

Which would make the original bloke's suggestion of a upvc/ply/upvc sandwich a good idea. That, or the new glazed panel Thanks to all for the suggestions. Bloody cat doesn't even belong to us but, as we often get lumbered with feeding him, I'm determined to get this flap installed.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , stuart noble particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might

I put a catflap in the corner of the kitchen, in a wasted corner with no cupboards, with the washing machine adjacent.

Originally, there was another hole through into the nextdoor room, but since that has changed use, I've blocked that up and the cats now have to squeeze through a small gap twit the WM and the bottom corner of the cupboard - they weren't impressed

Reply to
chris French

Yes, I'll go along with that - I'm pretty sure the hopeless circular one was theirs.

Same here. Our current one is an older version of the model 914 on that page, and seems pretty similar to andy's description. It is coded to release only when the proper one of the six available colour coded 'magnets' is brought close to it. It doesn't blow open, but our cat has learnt to play annoying tunes with the 'click' the solenoid makes when he gets near it. If he approaches it slowly it clicks and the noise makes him jerk back a little so the solenoid closes again, so he tries again....

It's fine if he bounds through it in one go. Yes, yes, i know I should hang a delay capacitor on the driver somewhere, maybe when I get round to tracing the circuit diagram; unless a kind soul has already done that.

Another thing - watch out for higher security door panels that have a membrane of steel sandwiched in the foam. They are very difficult to cut and have been known to prevent the magnetic flaps from working.

By the way... 6 colour coded magnets??? Well, there's north and south poles; maybe they've invented magnets with NNW poles too :-) I suppose the 'magnets' are really encapsulated tuned circuits.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

December. And thank God that my parents did not set the Beckhams trend of linking names and conception or I would be called Emley or Austin 1100. Enough said.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pretty conclusive then.........