Cars have definitely changed

Why would a diesel cost more to service? I'd also guess repairs per mile driven would be similar too - except for the dreaded turbo failure. But then not all diesels have turbos and some petrol engines do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

water temp sensor £6.50 IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At least one, if you buy on ebay

I expect used ones will start appearing in scrapyards quite soon.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Very true. Needed a new air mass sensor for the Boxster. Just a plastic tube about 6" diameter and 6" long with the sensor inside. Look at it and you'd say 20 quid. Made by Bosch. Porsche main dealer price £450. Trade from a Bosch dealer, £130. Same Bosch part number engraved on both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Back in the 60s. the Mini & the Anglia had the same generator. £5/10/- from BMC , but only £5 - from Ford.

Reply to
charles

Apparently some Rolls Royces and Land-Rovers shared some lighting parts. I expect the RR ones came in a nicer box though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The rear lamp assembly from the earlier Landrover Discoveries come from the Austin Maestro Van, probably horrify some of the owners if they found out and make them fear like nasty a contagious disease spreading from a nasty spot a mechanical malaise starting at the rear of the vehicle and working its way foward.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

but there's a surprising amount of configuration and testing to pay for

I went for a job working for the people that make them.

The job consisted of programming all output values for all of the millions of possible input conditions and then testing to destruction to make sure that it was correct.

This has to be redone for each new engine that they configured their device for.

Each new engine had a team of about 10 engineers working on the configuration taking about a year to complete it.

Dead shit boring job, was glad not to get it :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

if you need a spare part for your VW go to the Skoda dealer and pick up the exact same part for half the price

(obviously not applicable for body parts)

tim

Reply to
tim...

The name wasn?t plagiarised, it was legally acquired.

Hankat

My son's car tells him.

It says it's save 30 miles worth of fuel in 30,000 miles!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

For the first one, yes. Spread that cost over perhaps the million made and it's not so much.

Dunno when that was. I fitted a MegaSquirt to the old Rover - that's an aftermarket programmable ECU. It virtually tunes itself using a wideband O2 sensor. All the sensor inputs are easily configured.

I found it pretty enjoyable. You need to run the engine at all possible loads and speeds to get the mapping just right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still not clear what costs more to service on a diesel.

And that differential is rather higher than most with the Fiat 500.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VW Golf genuine ABS sensor =A312. Fake sensor =A35.

Honda CRV genuine ABS sensor =A3160. Fake sensor not available.

Guess which company I prefer.

-- =

For men, the conversation happens in addition to driving whereas for women the driving is something that happens in addition to t= he conversation.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Your vehicle refused to start because the handbrake was faulty?!? I suggest you either buy it a sense of proportion, or return it as stupidly designed and get all your money back.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have logged my fuel consumption for my last three cars, putting the fuel purchased and the mileage into a spreadsheet. For all three cars, the calculated displayed value according to the car was better than what I see from my spreadsheet. I do not know where the error is, but at least it's consistent. In each case, the monitoring has been over many thousands of miles.

Reply to
Davey

Possibly a perception that they have to be serviced at more frequent intervals though the actual service would only have been an oil change and oil and fuel filters and drain any water in the fuel system that may have collected in the trap. This was the case 30 to 40 years ago and ISTR that oil change intervals were very low compared to the petrol counterpart at around

9 to 15000 miles. Oil can be reasonably expensive and then the cost of the filters and whatever the dealership charged for doing it. Over the years the oil change intervals have extended further and further to what most would consider a normal amount and now sensible distances can be done between them rather than them being an almost 2 monthly chore that they were for many commercial drivers doing a 2 or 3 hundred miles a day. And although they defiantly a saved lot on fuel costs all those services meant time off the road or the cost of having another vehicle to cover.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And you can do the same thing with non-cars as well. We needed a new pump for an AEG washing machine and the Zanussi badged version was under half the price.

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts then (I thought they did)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, it is now really a Fiat!

Reply to
Capitol

VW do *not* make such parts. They buy it in from someone like Bosch, put it in VW packaging and charge accordingly. The trick is to buy direct from Bosch - or whoever makes the sensor.

But not recommended for people like you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)