Cars have definitely changed

How many sensors on a modern car can you get for £5. Even on my last car (a ford Escort) an intermittent problem was diagnosed as one of two sensors. One at £90 the other over £100. The advice of my local (non main dealer) garage was the wait till the intermittent problem becomes permanent - we will then stand a better chance of changing the correct sensor.

Reply to
Chris B

Depends on your driving style and how hilly/bendy the roads are it is round your way. Alos rural/urban driving is different.

Reply to
harry

Well, it takes the pollution away from the road, I guess. Round here, I turn it off if in heavy, inching-forward traffic.

BUT...I travel where there are quite a few level crossings (grade crossings?). People rarely stop the engine at these, even for a 5 minute wait. The amount of noise and pollution round that queue must be considerable, and the saving a little more too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tim+ wrote in news:o4m36f$74n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I can't believe it has any connection to the Willys Jeep - other than a plagiarised name

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Does anyone really believe petrol like for like gives better MPG ever? It may get close to diesel on the motorway, but loses out badly in town and with short journeys.

So saying, both my cars are petrol and auto, and neither exhibits such a wide gap between motorway and town - unless that shopping journey is very short indeed. I won't use my car for a journey so short it doesn't heat up to normal, as it is very bad for the engine.

Both cars are similar in that the town MPG is about half that of motorway use (or slightly better). If 25% as you've said, I'd guess something is amiss. Unless an ancient car on carbs with a poor auto choke. But I doubt you'd get decent motorway MPG with that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. I've had three cars which display the average MPG. All of them were as near as dammit accurate compared to checking it over several tankfuls. But that does assume the odometer is accurate.

Official MPG was and is only ever of any use as a comparison between makes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jeep regularly come bottom in JD Power surveys ...

Reply to
Huge

Many sensors in an engine etc are analogue. And can be tested easily by someone with basic electrical knowledge. And someone with basic understanding of the various injection systems can make a good guess at what sensor may have failed by the symptoms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me too. I also turn it off at night, since the energy used to run the lights has to be replaced in the battery when the engine restarts so I imagine the saving is negligible. It may even be negative, given efficiency losses.

Quite.

But I always thought these systems were to reduce urban emissions, rather that save fuel.

Reply to
Huge

Like all car bits, many of these things are an outrageous price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what they *charge*. I'd be astonished if they actually *cost* 10% of that. After all, an ECU with a few pounds worth of components in it costs hundreds of pounds.

Reply to
Huge

My car's manual tells me the energy (from braking) is stored in a super capacitor.

Reply to
charles

Yes, but that's not the point. I am comparing an accurate calculated figure based on odometer reading and filling station petrol pump reading with what the Jazz's display says the consumption is. I assume that's based on odometer reading and internal petrol pump pulse output. It doesn't matter where or how I've been driving - both figures should be more-or-less identical.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

In message , jim writes

I don't know about that. The Disco 300tdi and the LR110 200tdi before it had virtually no costs associated with engine maintenance. In about 12 years over the 2 vehicles, I only remember some oil, engine pre-heat thingies in the 300tdi and one new fan belt. All the big costs related to welding the chassis, bi-metallic corrosion etc.

Similarly, the 2, 1.9tdi Skoda's that I've had didn't have any excessive engine related costs, and I've had them maintained by the local main dealer.

I appreciate that newer diesels seem to have a load of unreliable junk bolted on to the engines, and this might push costs up. The 2004 Jeep's

2.7 Merc engine has cost a lot, but that seems primarily down to attempts to modernise a basically poor design (eg inaccessible and only one bolt per injector). I'd be very wary of buying a Mercedes now having seen this engine.
Reply to
Bill

That is actually the one I encounter most. Either the level crossing nearest to Canterbury East (but easterly, away from Ashford), or the one east of that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The short journeys in my case have now been going on for 8 years, every evening, and usually involve: Our house to hers - about half a mile. Long wait while she gets herself and is sometimes helped down the path. About 1/4 mile to supermarket. Long wait, about 30 mins+, while she talks to staff and buys a few items. About 300yards to our house where we all eat and watch the news. Half a mile back to her house, short wait while I help her up the path. Back to our house - less than 1/2 mile in this direction.

At every stop the engine cooled down, and my belief is that the injection system poured fuel into the petrol engine. The Omega was maintained by the (not terribly impressive) main agent.

Reply to
Bill

Okay, it was just a guess. Of course what the dealer charges you bears little relation to the cost price. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They are there to put a car into a lower tax band.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like Broad Oak Rd or Sturry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The first one to the east is St Stephens Road (my route into Canterbury). The second one is Broad Oak Road. The third is Sturry - I rarely use that because of the queues turning right.

Reply to
Bob Eager