Carbon filter material

I've a Lidl dehumidifier (SLE 420 A1) and am having difficulty sourcing original carbon filters. Even if I do get a reply, they're likely to be expensive (for example their workshop hoover bags are £17/5 plus p+p).

Is there anywhere the material can be bought reasonably cheaply, and cut to size? It's 3/4mm thick black light plastic foam-like in appearance, about 30cmx30cm.

Reply to
RJH

The usual online suspects

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aye yes, thanks, but that turns up mainly pond filters - it's the 2/3mm thin that I can't pin down. And cooker filters tend to come as packs, with a grease filter. Which looks like that's what I'll have to do - just seems a waste.

Reply to
RJH

Why would you want charcoal in it? Filter paper or cloth should work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or foam made for the purpose. I guess carbon refers to the colour rather than an attempt to imply activated charcoal?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I'd assume some sort of additional filter perhaps aimed at the 'air cleaning' mode. There's already a washable inline nylon mesh filter.

Reply to
RJH

It is mainly a dust filter so if you don't mind cutting it yourself (and not having the largely ineffective carbon bits) Dunelm and similar sell 70g wadding material

for £1.50 for a 1m by 1.37m bit.

It easily squashes down if a bit thick. I've used it for external venting cooker hood filters for years.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The idea of the charcoal/activated carbon is to remove cooking odours.

Recirculating filters are a complete waste of time. The best thing is to chuck the crap outside.

Reply to
harry

Maybe we should stop circulating crap round the house then. :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So you've already got a nylon air filter then a wet surface to clean the ai r. So again why would you want more? Sometimes you need to think about it.

No, you're right, I can sell you superelectrowonder filter cloth for £

10 a square metre. It looks like bogroll but omg it's fantastic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not a wet surface, no. The nylon mesh is fairly coarse and has never visibly clogged. The carbon filter OTOH is pretty bunged up. I've been running it without for quite a while now.

So again why would you want more? Sometimes you need to think about it.

*I* have. *You* would need to take it up with the designers ;-)

Now now.

Reply to
RJH

Yes, I'm not sure how it would actually achieve a great deal in my situation. But as it was designed that way, I thought I might as well replace it with something approaching the original.

I've got no intention of replacing it every 6 months (as per the manual)

- this will be the first change in over 3 years, and I'm doing it mostly to stop muck getting in to the machine's internals. I agree the carbon seems superfluous, but if I can without too much expense or bother, I will.

Not if the filtration system is capable of taking muck out of the air (which this almost certainly isn't - unless it's somehow pushing it into the condensate) and you're susceptible to that muck (which I don't think I am - in the short term at least).

Or not allow it to develop in the first place etc. I'm not that bothered about that side of things anyway. I just want to keep the thing working properly.

Reply to
RJH

Years ago, integrated circuits and circuit boards used to come packaged in a black anti-static mesh a couple of mm thick, which looked identical to the filter we had in a de-humidifier. I've had a quick google for the stuff but can't obviously see it. Not sure I'm using the right search terms anyway. Maybe they don't do it anymore. These days circuit boards come in plastic bags closely printed with a conductive pattern.

But a dehumidifier will work perfectly well without a filter. The dust just collects on the cooling fins and washes off into the container below, at least it does on ours. OK unless SWMBO wants to use the water for the steam iron.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You can buy the foam from RS or Farnell, maybe Rapid. Try "conductive foam".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Try searching for conductive foam.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Ah, that's the stuff. Thanks to you and TW. Perhaps the OP should try some; take your...er ... pic!

Chris Hogg

I threw all the filter components away years ago. It vents to outside. Last year, the fan went noisy due to crap build up, but a liberal application of Screwfix penetrating oil over a few days on the sintered bearings has restored everything to as new, after some 40 years of working!

Reply to
Capitol

harry explained on 16/09/2016 :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

the penny drops

... then goes back up the slot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, I don't. I have enough functioning brain cells left to understand the situation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr