Car window controls

Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

Reply to
fred

Probably the handle would slice you in half in a side impact collision :)

Reply to
alan_m

Only remember window winder handles in Rovers.

The A35 - glass block glued to side window pane and friction felt, IIRC. How secure was that ?

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

the Mini had sliding windows, ;-)

Reply to
charles

Yes, I remember those. And it not being so easy to just crack the window open.

I'd say pre WW2, and possibly immediately after.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well into the 60s I think, electric windows were exotic extras back then.

Reply to
Chris Green

I remember this being mentioned in a car programme, probably in the

1960's. I think in the context of it enabling hand signals quickly without all the winding (Virtually no electric windows in those days). I've never actually seen one though. ISTR it was on something larger, older, and conservative; the Rover / Humber / Armstrong Siddeley type.
Reply to
newshound

Rovers which crossed 1960 in production would have been the P4 and P5. Both had conventional window winders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.<g>

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Something like this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well done, I didn't think I had imagined it!

Reply to
newshound

Yes, just like that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sounds like an early Reliant to me.... Seriously, you mean a knob on the glass itself which was pulled up and down with a clip at either end? I think it was quite popular in very early closed in models for a time. Some early cars had opening back windows a bit like a house window. I'm sure if you can imagine it, somebody tried it!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well having been crammed into an A35van front seat with several others in Guernsey once, just do not push against the door too hard or it might open!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Our 1950s Rover 75 had one for the driver. It was very handy.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Wasn't it lovely when you could just open the window a crack for some fresh air but no rain, a struggle with electric windows IME.

Reply to
R D S

You must have very odd electric windows. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They move quite urgently. I take it some are slower, smoother?

Its impossible to open them just a tiny little bit, so my strategy is to open them too much then try to time the closing perfectly to get just a little gap.

Takes a few goes and is distracting. First world problems though eh? :)

Reply to
R D S

I'd guess so. I do remember having an old Jag where they were faster than the car. My last two makes have a double press button - I'd guess by Bosch. press lightly for stop start or heavier for all the way. And no problem flicking it to crack the window open.

Not unreasonable to want to open the window to your needs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well done. Thats it. I also found it on a Pinterest search on a 1947 Rover P2 sports saloon

Reply to
fred