Car window seal repair

I managed to damage one of the seals on the rear window of my car, using a pressure washer. I cleaned it too close-up :( (yes, it was a stupid thing to do)

It's just superficially damaged with a few score lines, as if someone raked a nail across it here and there.

Can anyone recommend a way to make it look slightly normal again. I was thinking of using a razor blade or something similar to carefully 'shave' off the raised burrs, but then what should I use to smooth it off ?

Maybe some wet & dry ?

I want to avoid paying through the nose for getting it replaced, so I've just one shot at doing it properly - assuming there is a way....

Any tips greatly appreciated.

c.

Reply to
cf-leeds

Assuming your car is not an unusual model, I would try a Breaker's Yard if you've got one nearby. I would guess that damaged doors, maybe with broken glass, aren't unusual. You should be able to "harvest" a rubber seal without too much difficulty. Getting it into place after removing the old one from your car door may be another matter, however.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A model makers or surgeons scalpel is more controllable. You will need a steady hand. Scope for further damage.

That is likely to leave finer scratches but might work. I have found black sugru (sp?) quite handy for making semi flexible repairs to damaged boot and door seals in the past. Though these were not cosmetic but gouged out chunks from manhandling heavy sharp gear in and out.

Reply to
Martin Brown