Car leasing rant.

I understand that, but the finance house exists to make a profit so will have a significant mark-up, plus they have "cost of capital" to consider, commissions to pay, and risk to factor in ... it's hard to accept that the resultant cost to the "punter" is less then them just buying the car directly.

Reply to
nothanks

From a company perspective..

1/. Leasing costs are fully tax deductible, buying a car puts it in as an asset which then can only get written off over several years, so leasing is cash flow positive. You don't tie up cash needed elsewhere. 2/. You have fixed and completely predictable cost of ownership. Many companies never service leased cars. They simply hand them back after two years as they recieved them. 3/. The cars are fully warranted and if something goes wrong the leasing company sorts it. 4/. The cars have a nice shiny new smell. Until little Johnny throws up in them. This impresses the neighbours. 5/. The cost of ownership is offset by interest on the capital saved, and if you know how to generate MORE than the lease cost, you end up spending less overall. 6/. Overall, for many people and companies, it places the responsibility of ownership on someone else's shoulders. Routine maintenance at a fixed price and a courtesy car is all you have to do.

In short its no hassle, predictable, gets you a shiny new car, and saves capital

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course its more. BUT you get peace of mind, shininess, and if you have invested the money you WOULD have spent, wisely, or didn't have it in the first place, you are quids in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never understood the point of signatures, as you say there's often nothing to compare it to and mine never looks the same twice anyway.

Reply to
R D S

I can see how it might work for some but i like to own stuff, it's just more relaxing, i've heard too many leasing horror stories.

Reply to
R D S

We're just awaiting the delivery of a lease car - however, that's only because my wife is disabled and can get an electric car, on lease, at half the price of a normal lease. We could have bought a second-hand, non-electric car cheaper, but when you add in that all servicing, repair, insurance, breakdown cover, road tax (when it comes in for BEVs), etc. is included in the Motability lease and the petrol we'll save, we end up with only a small cost for having a brand new car.

Without Motability, there is no way we would lease.

As for leasing an electric car, it will be suitable for almost all our needs, without ever needing to charge away from home, but only because we have a petrol car as well, for those longer or sudden, unplanned journeys.

Reply to
SteveW

But charge you more than you would pay for the car if you paid cash for it.

Reply to
farter

And a mate of mine's signature looks like its been crossed out.

That's so he can claim that it had been crossed out if he ever needs to.

Reply to
Rod Speed