Car 'broken' into with no signs of entry.

Steven Campbell wrote on Aug 31, 2010:

My Toyota re-locks itself after a minute or so if nothing on the car has been physically opened. A nice precaution I think - although a little annoying occasionally.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Was some ancient Merc CL system if memory serves.

Reply to
Scott M

About once a blue moon I find my E46 unlocked when I could swear blind it was locked and have seen mention of similar occurances on BM forums. I can only think that some ECU glitches in its sleep and triggers the central locking.

Reply to
Scott M

No, the half tennis ball 'trick' worked on certain Ford locks, I've never heard of this happening on Merc's, whilst they do have pneumatically operated central locking the key barrel is conventional and indeed it would be difficult to get a tight enough air-tight seal around the complete (or part of) door handle assembly!

Reply to
Jerry

Radio amateurs have a frequency allocation at 432 to 440 Mega Hertz and the car's radio control fob operates just beyond the middle of this band, so any local transmission by a ham will swamp the car's ability to receive the key fobs signal.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Don't forget that you do not need precisely the same frequency to provide jamming. In fact you can get pretty effective jamming working at thirds of harmonics. I know of places with certain government transmitters working at that level which absolutely prevent the use of car fobs.

Reply to
Howard Neil

The key unlock code is usually provided when the car is new and the dealer/agent is unlikely to keep a record of it. The code is stored in the car's computer and can be downloaded in a few seconds, if you have access to the makers computer software.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

: : The key unlock code is usually provided when the car is new and the : dealer/agent is unlikely to keep a record of it.

You will be amazed what information a dealer can (often, not with all manufactures) access about a car, given the VIN/body number...

Reply to
Jerry

Yeah you could do this on my Ford Sierra many years ago.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I think that is now a standard procedure on most cars. Certainly on the VW, Suzuki, Vauxhall and Renault cars in my household relock in about 30 seconds if a door hasn't been opened.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

: >>

: > My Toyota re-locks itself after a minute or so if nothing on the car has : > been : > physically opened. A nice precaution I think - although a little annoying : > occasionally. : : I think that is now a standard procedure on most cars. : Certainly on the VW, Suzuki, Vauxhall and Renault cars in my household : relock in about 30 seconds if a door hasn't been opened. :

...and it's bloody annoying in vehicle workshops were it's not always particle/possible to put the car into valet mode - que embarrassed phone call to owner asking if they have access to their spare set of keys and if so can someone call to collect them!

Reply to
Jerry

My C-MAX does the same.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

How does that work? If you unlock the door from outside using the fob and then don't open the door the doors lock automatically but it doesn't do this if a door is open. I didn't think it was possible to lock your keys in a car nowadays due to the keyfob?!

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

: > : > : >>

: > : > My Toyota re-locks itself after a minute or so if nothing on : > the car has : > : > been : > : > physically opened. A nice precaution I think - although a : > little annoying : > : > occasionally. : > : : > : I think that is now a standard procedure on most cars. : > : Certainly on the VW, Suzuki, Vauxhall and Renault cars in my : > household : > : relock in about 30 seconds if a door hasn't been opened. : > : : >

: > ...and it's bloody annoying in vehicle workshops were it's not : > always particle/possible to put the car into valet mode - que : > embarrassed phone call to owner asking if they have access to : > their spare set of keys and if so can someone call to collect : > them! : : How does that work? : If you unlock the door from outside using the fob and then don't open the : door the doors lock automatically but it doesn't do this if a door is open. : I didn't think it was possible to lock your keys in a car nowadays due to : the keyfob?! :

But said keyfob is usually on the same ring as the key, key is often left in the car (sometimes even in the ignition barrel...) with the key turned to the all off/steering-lock position and doors shut whilst people are working on the car, some cars will self-lock even if said key is in the ignition barrel - as I said, bloody annoying and more than stupid. :~(

Reply to
Jerry

I do hope you are being ironic.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No its a sub urban myth .. different beast entirely!..

Also know by its Latin name Bullshittus maximus..

Reply to
tony sayer

Mythbusters busted that ;o)

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I don't know of any that will even let you operate the locks using the buttons on the fob while the key is near the ignition. Maybe an old one without the rfid tag in the key would?

Reply to
dennis

Jerry :

Indeed it would be, but the only self-locking features I've come across are cancelled if any door is opened after the unlock. Which means that if the key and its operator were outside (or inside) when the doors were unlocked, they'll still be outside (or inside) when they re-lock.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

A sad reflection that they even needed to bother.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q