Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

The Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ has been updated. The current version is 5.6, dated May 11, 2006 and can be found on

Bill Darden

In message , Bill Darden writes

Bill,

I've looked at the faq and it has been extremely helpful, but I am a bit stuck in locating a replacement battery for my boat.

The existing is a Lucas Premium Type 624 200Ah battery, which is secured in a space specially built for its size and shape. It is charged from either a battery charger connected to shorebased AC power, or via the Engine Alternator, which I think is 60A.

It runs a 4.7Kw bowthruster, which is used fairly infrequently for many short bursts whilst mooring or unmooring, ( or whatever the term is ). It's not difficult to flatten the battery during one of these exercises. It also runs the domestic AC system via a Sterling 1800W invertor.

ManBat have recommended a 220Ah truck battery, which they say is not deep cycle, but would do the job.

Would be grateful for some advice - particularly as to whether the existing battery is deep cycle, and whether I should be able to find the same battery or, alternatively, what would be a suitable replacement.

Many Thanks

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Have a look here. Their name comes to mind with a similar problem at a relatives some years ago.

EricP