Car air-conditioning smells

Slightly OT: not to do with smells in Air con, but to do with the above comment: We had a Ford Galaxy, that had a similar warning in the handbook, just before we sold it, we found out why. Apparently, we hadn't run it enough, and the compressor seized. Since the fan-belt drives this compressor the whole time (even when the air-con isn't on), this was making a burning smell as the belt was forced over a fixed pulley. Cost >£1000 to fix (20% of the value of the car). Another one from the Ministry of crap design.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Mudd

There's an electromagnetic clutch between the pulley and the compressor - so the actual compressor doesn't turn when not in use. It also cycles when in use. So whatever seized was to do with the clutch.

My old Rover has a clever idea to make sure the AC is used - it switches it on when you go to defrost, so will get used throughout the winter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My (recent) Galaxy has that too...all electronically controlled...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Dave Plowman wrote

Modern Ford cars switch on the AC automatically in similar circumstances

- to remove moisture from the interior when de-misting the windows..

Reply to
Alan

I read the revised Freelander just out finally gets rid of all trace of Leyland trim parts.

I'm surprised the A/C isn't good - the set on my SD1 is much more powerful than my new(ish) BMW. And you certainly know when it cuts in - the car about stands on its nose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Set it once and press Auto. I've set my default to 19...

(by default, I take it that you mean the setting then the car is started)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wouldn't this be like your central heating reverting to some factory default whenever you went away for a bit ? (In other words, a bloody stupid thing to do.) I have good old knobs for my climate control.

Reply to
John Laird

It would certainly be strange if it always re-set to the same figure, unless you'd disconnected the battery.

Mine (BMW) remembers everything, but if you switch the entire system off totally by running the fan down past minimum, it will come on at minimum fan speed after the next switch on. Can't say this matters to me as I never switch it off anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not on mine, it doesn't! Try it....remember to press Auto after setting the desired default. Let me know...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No... tried that last night... Set the temperature to 19 pressed AUTO. This morning the setting has returned to 22 degrees. I am pretty sure that this has always been the behaviour (last 5 years).

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Wonder if you've got a faulty memory backup battery? Might be worth doing a search on the subject - there are plenty of sites that tell you how to replace BMW ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Perhaps mine has later firmware! It's just over 2 years old...

Reply to
Bob Eager