Can't open UPVC door

A friend of mine has an old UPVC back door that won’t open.
It’s about 15 years old and has the standard style of lever handle with a very narrow plate and a Euro cylinder lock set into it. You can turn the k ey in the lock and feel the lock’s bolt go in and out but you can’t mov e the handle – which is what I presume makes the multiple bolts down the side of the door retract.
I suspect it may be time for a new door but in the meantime I’m wondering what the best way is to approach this as I am not familiar with these mech anisms and their peculiarities and we’d like to be able to open the door for a few last times before we get a new one!
Is it one where the bolts go up and down, or in and out? Sometimes you can take the lock apart and get at the mechanism the moves the bolts, the linkage breaks I fancy. Not an easy job as I recall.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Murmansk" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
On 05/05/2013 13:42, Murmansk wrote:

narrow plate and a Euro cylinder lock set into it. You can turn the key in the lock and feel the lock’s bolt go in and out but you can’t move the handle – which is what I presume makes the multiple bolts down the side of the door retract.

the best way is to approach this as I am not familiar with these mechanisms and their peculiarities and we’d like to be able to open the door for a few last times before we get a new one!

Locked from both sides??
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk