Can I avoid rendering??

I recently had my garage door bricked up with a breeze block wall. I've noticed the wall is damp on the inside, obviously due to it being exposed to the elements and being very absorbent. Is there any product I can use to put a durable weatherproof coat on the outside of the wall without having to go to the expense of having it rendered first?

Cheers

James

Reply to
James Varty

You could probably DIY the render on a small area like that. Is the appearence of the wall important? Is it an up'n'over size end, or a side door?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Masonry paint. But you'll need a few coats on blockwork, sprayer ideal.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Its the end with the big hole that the car fits through...

DIY render. Scary.

Reply to
James Varty

You could use masonry paint, as suggested by Mr. Walker, or (black) bitumen emulsion, or hang it with weatherboard, which looks nice.

Bah. Use vertical battens, as detailed in DIY books. Easy. Don't forget to put a dollop of waterproofer in the 1:1:6 sharp sand mix you end up using.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is that 1 part flour, 1 part sand to 6 parts water?

I'm definitely up for having a go, but I'm a bit of a Frank Spencer when it comes to DIY. It needs to be very basic with comprehensive instructions...

Reply to
James Varty

You could cover it with timber cladding if you don't want to have a go at rendering. Are you sure it's penetrating damp rather than condensation?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thompsons' water seal? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Oh nooo. Film it for us eh? Lol

I would not assume paint or render will fix it though. You shouldnt be getting penetrating damp on a new wall. Condensation sound more likely, in which case render and paint wont help. Insulation with whatnot membrane would.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can't waterproof cement render sufficiently to stop it coming through breeze block. Maybe three coats and pebbledash?

What on earth was breeze block used for? It is absolute crap. You can break through it with a teaspoon and all the water from the top course will pour into the one below, all the 7 or 8 courses down to the DPC.

You could tile it, or batten it out and sheath it with waterproof ply then put 3 or 4 layers of oil based paint on it and paint it every two years for the next generation or so.

Personally I'd do it again with 2 courses of brick. Or a skin of brick and a skin of breeze on the inside. Either that or skin the outside with brick and extend the garage roof. (Just put a sheet on the top of the end one with enough overlap.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That can be done, if you'r the least bit serious.

It's made of "breeze blocks". These could be anything, including thermalite (foamed cement mix) which is as soft as * and as absorbent as blotting paper. Something Should Be Done or spalling may very soon be a problem.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hm, I didn't know that. How does "tanking" work?

That's agreed. I know someone who rendered an outside Thermalite wall, with no DPC. That was five seasons ago. Now, it's fsck'd.

I wonder whether it'd help to creosote it??

Easier to bash some battens on, and use weatherboard (if it fits with the roof).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It would be useful to know what blocks were used. It is extremely unlikely to be breeze blocks -- they haven't been manufactured since before WWII.

Modern tanking I've seen looks like some type of resin. Victorian tanking applied on outsides of cellar walls is some type of pitch/tar.

Concrete thermal blocks do expand and contract slightly as they get wet and dry out -- enough to make any render or plaster lose key. So if moisture does get through to such blocks, I would expect any render to fail. (You have to be careful not to over-wet thermal blocks when plastering them for this reason.) However, there are waterproofing additives for mortars/renders -- I have used these in sand and cement scratch coats on damp walls (not thermal blocks), and no moisture comes through it to the gypsom finish plaster coat.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That was supposed to be a leading question.

That's it - you *can* render the wall using a waterproofing admixture. It will be waterproof.

BTW, I notice this is x-psoted to "free.uk.diy.home", an appallingly clumsy name. Does anyone use it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

its very unreliable.

Anyone tried lime rendering breeze? Lime tends to self heal, so I wonder if it might work better.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hey, I wonder why the building trade hasn't thought of that. I think you should own up to being an extreme fundamentalist in your posts. Some kind of signature possibly

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thermolite blocks are used extensively in the building trade and yes, they render them as well.

ken

Reply to
Ken

There are a small number of postings on it. The free.* groups don't propagate well across usenet. They were a fundamentally flawed idea should really be torched.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel