Can Building Control over-ride planning permission?

Where will these be? I can't anything that looks remotely like a drain slot. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've found these now: drilled into the underside of the door and obviously placed to drain onto the outside section of the threshold strip (is that the correct term?). Reversing the entire frame would of course put this part of the strip on the inside, and simply separating the strip and fitting it the other way around would be impractical since it then wouldn't match up to the side mouldings.

Perhaps a new custom-made threshold strip could be obtained, but it does make the simple approach idea at least a little more complicated.

Reply to
Bert Coules

inside the bottom frame extrusion (usually near the outside edge as there is often plastic extruded between the top and bottom to make it stiffer) and on the outside of the same extrusion.

Anyway how come none of the "clever" people like TNP, CD, etc. aren't answering simple DIY questions?

Reply to
dennis

Do that then, and get your Building Control sign-off.

Then put it back so it matches the Planning application.

Just as long as both officers don't visit on the same day :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Actually, the building control officer joked about something very much on those lines during one visit. The obviously realise that it goes on all the time...

Reply to
Bert Coules

You can put a cr@p £30 door in and pass building control and then replace it later.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes indeed I could. But I've decided now that I want the door to open inwards, so reversing the existing one (if I can make that work) would be ideal: building control would have their no-immediate-steps rule satisfied and the change from the original planning submission would surely not bother that department, since barring a highly unlikely surprise spot check wouldn't know about it anyway.

Reply to
Bert Coules

How about using a horizontal axis? Then it would hinge on gteh same side but open inwards :-)

rmlaws54

Would be one hell of an athletic cat to get through the cat-flap though!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not with the best insurers. Some even accept that it is possible to forget to lock a door when going out and still pay in that situation.

Reply to
jleikppkywk

That's good to know, but I was thinking more of the gamble involved in paying out for insurance which might never prove necessary.

Reply to
Bert Coules

all insurance is bad value I avoid it whenever it is legal to do so....self insure is cheaper .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

it might apply in Aus, not here.

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you can afford the £150,000 to clear and rebuild and £50,000 to replace the contents and the £2,500,000 to cover 3rd party damages then yes its cheaper on average.

Do you self insure your car because you can legally?

Reply to
dennis

make friends with your building control, ask their advice.

inward opening doors are easier to block with a foot from the inside.

Leave it as it is for now, see how much of a problem it is?

[g] > I secured planning permission for a rear extension to my bungalow, which is
Reply to
George Miles

Thanks for that. Coincidentally, I've just emailed the Principal Building Control Officer asking about this very point. He's been helpful and understanding in the past and it will be interesting to see what he says.

Reply to
Bert Coules