Driveway Planning permission ? ? ?

do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

Reply to
John Wilson

If you're in a conservation area then probably. In a National Park, or the building is listed, then definitely.

Reply to
Mike

it any of it is a footpath, then you have piles of red tape, and if its a brildleway move out quick ........

Rick

Reply to
Rick

it's in a city, most ppl have driveways around here so I don't see why there would be trouble

I think it's just a jealous neighbour lol

Reply to
John Wilson

Not normally; conservation area and listed building you might.

If however you have created or altered an access on to the highway, then you do need PP and also permission from the highways authority.

Maybe he doesn't like monoblock.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Certainly not in a conservation area, I'm not too sure about listed building but I don't think so there either.

This topic came up when I had a chat to a planning officer a couple of years ago and I seem to remember his words were :- "You can cover the whole of your garden in concrete as far as we're concerned"

He could have been mistaken though, of course :-)

Again, it's all a bit vague but I think that's only the case for A, B or C roads. Anything unclassified is OK, I think.

:-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

It's possible that there are some restrictive covenants for your area, particularly if it's a leasehold property. My deeds, for instance, insist that the front garden can only be grass and that I cannot even plant a small bush. I block-paved it about 10 years ago! Most other people have similarly ignored the restrictions, which don't reflect today's multi-car owning society.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

There are some restrictions. First how do you get in and out of your new driveway? If you have made a new vehicle entrance then yes, and amongst others the highways bods will come to look. Also if you have any preservation order trees whose canopies are over your new driveway they have to have their 6 pennethworth. I had a large area pavioured myself a few years ago, and wanted to move the drive entrance. The highways people were over the moon, much safer, which was why I wanted to move it, but the tree people said no way, it may damage the trees. Not likely I would of thought, but that was that. :-(

Reply to
Broadback

owning

It usually comes under "permitted development" unless like others have said theres a restrictive covenant about it. This also applies to porches, conservatories etc. If you need to create new access from the road over a non-dropped curb then you need PP as far as I remember (to get the curb dropped and access allowed over the pathway)

Reply to
adder1969