Can anyone explain this?

I wonder if their number plate recognition database will be available for the openweknowwhereyoulive.org scheme to supplement that being gathered by users everywhere ;^)?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Just as an aside I visited the SavaCentre in Colliers Wood today (to use the M&S, naturally ;-)) and they have number plate recognition on the entrance and exit to the car park - your car number is flashed up with the arrival/departure time. No arguing there if you overstay the allowed time. Which is a generous 5 hours. Perhaps they're intending reducing the number of checkouts in use even more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is what's happening on posh housing estates here, it takes you back for the first time when you recognise that number in front of you! They record the entry and exit times and store them. It doesn't take too big a leap of imagination to see how this information and that collected by the neighbourhood watch could be of interest, possibly to divorce lawyers ;-).

AJH

Reply to
AJH

As we're veering spectacularly off-topic, have a butcher's at this stuff:

't know if it works for for the systems described here though, unless they flash.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

It doesn't work for anything, flash or no flash.

Reply to
Huge

John wrote in

If you go to Google Oz, select Maps and choose Street View, you can virtually walk any of the major cities. A bit impressive.

PeterMcC

It's lens bloom from the hatchback car in the car park, gilders lol!

Reply to
ThePunisher

The pixels on the left had me wondering as well. I would say it is reflection off a sun roof.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

It doesn't work if they do flash so its irrelevant.

Reply to
dennis

Is that some kind of hemiplegic disease affecting goldsmiths ;-) ?

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Derek Geldard writes

More dutch elm, I would have thought

Reply to
geoff

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

No system is perfect. It may recognise the number on the way in and not on the way out hence your stay may be registered as more than 5 hours. If it's free parking for 5 hours than a large charge, say, £100, for overstaying your welcome expect a letter from a third party debt collection company threatening to send the boys around :)

As for the Google image, If the photograph was being taking by a satellite on a line by line basis as it was moving above the ground, with a line being a single row of pixels vertically on the photo, and the plane was flying in the same direction and close to the same relative speed the image of the aircraft would be foreshortened. Take an image of an aircraft cut it into strips, keep every 10th strip and throw the rest away, re-assemble what you have left and you get the image similar to that shown on Google, especially if the aircraft was climbing or banking when the image was captured.

Reply to
Alan

At the closest zoom google earth images are shot from a plane, not a satellite, the furthest zoom is still taken from satellite images, at some point in-between they seem to be assembled from a collage of shrunken plane images.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in

That'll be it then: a shrunken plane image

:)

Reply to
PeterMcC

Well it looks (to me) like a windfarm er, windmill!

Reply to
dave

Having looked at the image now I looked at some I have taken at 2000 metres 1/800 second and they seem similar.

I considered the foreshortened airplane theory but don't know enough about air traffic control to decide whether it is probable, I'd have thought that was too close for comfort.

Using weknowwhereyoulive public domain number recognition software I see there are faded numbers either side of the feature, 008???? on the building with the strange ridge arrangement to the W and similarly indistinguishable numbers on the SE corner of the building under the feature.

Then looking at the car parking spaces and the slight difference in angle of the cars under the feature my guess this is an artifact of the orthogonal rectification which has torn at the seam where images have been stitched, when I have stretched images to fit a grid I have had similar effects but the software has given me the option of morphing pixels from either side to avoid this effect.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

It could be a distorted reflection of a large wing mirror.

Reply to
Ariadne

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alan saying something like:

Careful, you'll have "The Selfabuser" after you for suggesting that, when it's obviously 'lens bloom'. A very feasible explanation though, as we can see the object is not symmetrical (ie, banking, turning) and is definitely something airborne.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ariadne saying something like:

On what? A huge motorcycle?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

it's an albino pterodactyl, anyone can see that

Reply to
geoff