Calling owners of 1/2" routers: extent of plunge?

Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as profiling bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how far, and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not the same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.
Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.
I haven't got my DW625/CMT to hand, but IIRC the plunge is about the same as yours. The answer is either to only partially insert the bit into the collet (within reason and lighter cuts only) or to use a collet extender (Axminster does them).

profiling
far,
the
The collet is not supposed to extend past the base plate. Maybe the cutters shaft is too far into the collet?

Much obliged George and dom. I hadn't realised extenders exist. I thought about not inserting the cutter fully but wasn't too happy about how much grip would remain.

Whats the lenght of the shaft ?

25mm.

thought
much
There's the problem then,my 1/2" cutters are a minimium of 1" shaft. 25mm is not much when at least 1/2" has to be put into the collet.

Well, 1" = 25.4 mm so about the same. But I'll get an extension for my shaft <smutty grin>.

shaft
Thats its minimium at a guess as I cannot be bothred to go look the shaft is 1.1/4"
rrh wrote:

I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9, and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).
--
Cheers,

John.

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I've just had a thought....was the depth stop at its max?
rrh wrote:

I measured - the plunge through is about 15mm
--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks John. Subsequent googling - dunno why I couldn't find it the first time - reveals that the Freud one is indeed particularly good for use in a table.
rrh wrote:

Yup, its got plenty of power, a big built in height adjuster that is easy to reach under a table, and the plunge through...
Triton do another good table router:
http://www.tritontools.co.uk/trb001-tra001-240v-1-2-triton-precision-router.html?osCsid 19964debbf973c2be3571dd7d267f4
--
Cheers,

John.

I had a similar problem until I noticed part of the Perspex cover was fouling. It was needed when it was in a table so a couple of screws removed it and the plunge was longer. It was part of the dust extraction system and not really up to the job when upside down anyway.

My DW625: plunges exactly flush (as near as I can tell) with
- the dust extractor cowling removed, - the standard sole plate covering removed and - one of the depth stop pillars removed
Michael.
(who's delighted to be finally able to answer a question, when I've gained so much from the group!)

Thanks
On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:59:08 +0000, rrh wrote:

I bought an Erbauer ERBRT-3 from "The Routerman" on EBay. Seems pretty good, although the blow-moulded case had a smashed corner. No biggie.
With the soleplate and dust collector shroud on, it plunges to dead level. With the shroud off you get just under a 1/4" more, with the shroud and soleplate off you get just over 3/8" protruding.
Hope that helps.
BTW it seems like a nice router, but I haven't really needed the grunt yet so it's only done a few test cuts. I bought it to go in a router table but the base was too big for the router table I had (the cheap but surprisingly solid ALDI one) so I got the Powercraft router from ALDI as well.
This is all following my philosophy of buying something cheap but adequate first then replacing it *only if* I use it enough to wear it out - or can tell it has significant limitations. Or I feel spendy ;-)