Calculations pls!

Remember that modern houses have 100 mm of polystyrene under the floor slab these days. It isn't under the screed but right at the bottom of the concrete. The slab doesn't crack even under the uneven load of a house.

I will ask the obvious.. what stops the pool floating if the ground water gets too high and has anything been done to see what level the ground water is? This will determine how much concrete you need to stop it floating away when its empty later.

Reply to
dennis

The situation is that the pool heats the soil around it, and its the loss from a 'bowl' of warmish soil with a temperature gradient through it that is the issue. Thats for a 24x7 heated pool. Te total loss will be relatively constant summer to winter via the soil. About 3-4 meters of soil is as good as 50mm kingspan as an insulator.

I fact I've seen cellars in german houses built as 'swimming pools'., And in fact when the sewer backup up in my sister's it *became* a swimming pool:-)

All you do is dig a hole, you don't bother to insulate the base..just put down rebar and lay concrete off a fairly level base. Then you carry the rebar up the outside paying great attention to the corners and cast the walls with formwork. Then a few slabs of cheap polystyrene (white foam) are popped down the sides to act as partly insulation, and partly as a crushable layer to take up any soil heave.

Then the sides are backfilled.

The concrete cast area should be able to take the full weight of the water without any support from the soil at all.

Anyone who is relying on the soil to support more than a small flexible lined pond is a moron: Its done with reinforced concrete, and the longer the sides and the deeper they are the thicker it will have to be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It can also be between the base slab and the screed if you prefer...

Indeed. The compressive strength of PIR foam is quite high once you are dealing with a reasonable area of it.

Nothing usually - other than the weight of the water in it plus the mass of the pool itself. It is not unknown for pools to start to float out of the ground if left unfilled for too long.

That would require a load of concrete (about half the volume of the water you are displacing) if you are going to do it completely - especially in a wet soil area.

Reply to
John Rumm

I do not think this guy would mind that

ARWadsworth