Cable tie gun - how do they work?

I'm considering getting a cable tie gun as I have a job which involves doing up a *lot* of cable ties.

However I'm not sure what they do or how they work.

One I'm looking at for example is the Screwfix one:-

appears to take a continuous feed of cable tie as it says "Attach the 15m spool to the back of the gun for a fully portable tool. Use the 100m spool directly from your toolbox or bag." However I can't see any 100m spool for sale from Screwfix anywhere.

Also, what are these:-

they also for the cable tie gun, if so how do they differ from the continuous reel?

I'm particularly interested in something that will avois the effort of threading each cable tie manually (with cold fingers at the moment). Does the cable tie gun do this or is it just a way of pulling it tight after threading and cutting the end off?

Reply to
usenet

I have one of these and I'm afraid that it won't really solve your problem. You have to manually thread the tie around the cables, thread it back into the machine and tighten it manually. You then trim the tie with the built in cutter.

Although I havn't used mine enough to become proficient, I don't think it offers any advantage over normal cable ties.

The system uses separate tie and locks. The second item is the locks that you need.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Bod wot spanners my car uses one of these. And swears AT it quite a lot.

AFAICR it's an endless length of the serrated cable tie plus double headed clips. You feed the cable off the drum and through a length of clips. The protruding end of the cable is pulled out and fed round the object to be tied and back through the leading clip. You then pull the drum end of the cable back to tighten the job and finally use the cutter to trim the cable off the spool.

Does any of that make sense?

So you need tool + cable + clips to do the job.

It's an attractive idea but you still have to fiddle about poking the free end back into the snout of the machine. And there has to be space to get the snout close to the work piece for best tightening.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On the one I've got I'd say it is easier to thread the end in - as you can have the initial loop as large as you like. And not so easy to put it in the wrong way round. You also don't need pliers to tighten the tie and cutters to cut the spare off - it's all you need for the job. The finished tie looks slightly different to a normal one, since the ends of the tie go into the collet from the same side. Also I've only seen the tie rolls in white. Mine is just a cheap DIY one and not the same as the Screwfix offering. Somewhere like RS components would be a better bet for a heavy duty one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in a previous job I used to go through hundreds of cable ties a day. sometimes over a thousand in a week. those cable tie guns are not nearly as good or as fast as your hands and fingers.

RT

Reply to
[news]

Thanks. I'd worked out the bit about "separate tie and locks", not at all obvious from the ScrewFix descriptions but another site clarified things a bit.

Reply to
usenet

OK, thanks all, I'll just buy another pack of cable ties then. ... and probably not wear my bifocals for tying them.

Reply to
usenet

You get some like this:

use ordinary ties. You still do the looping and threading, but they help you pull it tight and then automatically cut off the excess.

Reply to
John Rumm