Cable thief burned

Why not learn how to read?

Reply to
ARW

"Nthkentman" wrote in news:QqudnSXKi snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

They should put warning signs on substations and have them fenced off. Anyway - why do we need 11,000 volts? 230 is enough and is a bit safer!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I^2R losses, dear boy.

Reply to
charles

On Friday 22 February 2013 21:17 DerbyBorn wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reply to
Tim Watts

:-) and ????????

Reply to
ARW

12 V is safer still.
Reply to
Gib Bogle

or even 1.2v from a NiCad rechargeable.

Reply to
charles

We have generally seen discussions here suggest that UK 230 V is safer than US 110 V - partly because we have lower currents. Surely, by the time you increase currents another nearly-10-fold, things like kettles and washing machines are going have ridiculous currents or appalling performance. And, I suggest, will end up less safe overall.

Certainly for touching with a finger, 12 V is safer than 110 or 230 V - but that ain't the whole picture.

Reply to
polygonum

face-1708052.

+1
Reply to
The Nomad

face-1708052.

Those cables would really be worth nicking. If they could be lifted.

Reply to
Bob Eager

face-1708052.

I remember hearing (more than once) of severe wrist burns sustained when working under a car dashboard wearing a metal watch strap. High current can be bad too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry - tongue was in cheek. Attempt at technical humour!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Same here! Just think how hard it would be to nick them!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Was that up around Scousepool? Bootle police had a similar photo of a well known local scrote who tried it on once too often.

Since every one's doing "my dad" stories, when he was an engineer with the Electricity Board my dad was called out to a power outage that had affected Runcorn. Someone had hacksawed through an 11kV line over the Ship Canal. No sign of the would be thief and no interest from the police in dragging the canal to look for him.

Dad pointed out that even if they had got the cable cut at both ends they would not have been able to lift it without a crane or a winch.

This was back around 1960.

He was also called out to fix a tree in Manchester that had given an electric shock to someone waiting at a bus stop. The roots had grown into an HT line.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There was an incident a couple of decades ago (pre-privatisation) where so me kids got into a primary (33/11kV) substation and were electrocuted. All area boards were required to assess the 'attractiveness' of all substations for miscreant kids and re-fence as necessary.

That's why quite a few s/s that were originally well hidden behind close bo arded fencing are now visible behind metal palisade style enclosures.

Reply to
Broadland Wanderer