Cabinet lighting

I'm about to start builing a set of wall cabinets over our bed, the end cabinets will be tall presenting inside walls when seen from the bed. It would be ideal to mount bedside lights there rather than on the walls or the bedside tables. Lights like these:

Now being 240V they will be mounted on a solid wood panel. Is this safe? All the heat will be in the bulb at the end of the arm, so that won't be the problem, it will be the electrical connection. Any safe way of doing this?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

bigcat

Provided the connections are enclosed in a non-combustible enclosure it's okay.

I assume the sides of the cabinets are thin sheet material. I would suggest cutting out a hole to allow a box[1] to be recessed flush with the exterior cabinet finish. The cabinet sheet material will probably need reinforcing to hold the weight of the luminaire, so I'd suggest noggins abutting the sides of the box. Screw the box sideways into the noggins.

Owain

[1] Single flush, architrave or 2" conduit style (BESA), depending on the mounting fixtures of the luminaire.
Reply to
Owain

I'm aiming for 20mm thick solid pine so it should hold pretty well. I'll reassess once I get the units since the noggins can be retrofitted if needed.

Thanks for the replies, I'm in process of making up the cutting list....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby