Button Magnet Orientation?

I have a non-ferrous souvenir which has two button magnets, about 3/8" diam that are positioned approx 3" apart. They have fallen out and I'm about to glue them back in their rececesses.

Something tells me that it is better to place one North down and one South down but then with the bar being non-ferrous, and 3" apart, does it matter?

Also was just going to put a couple of drops from glue gun into the recesses unless there are suggestions to do otherwise.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Slightly. You can test the pull of them outside of the ornament.

Sounds the perfect solution. Epoxy doesn't bind well to plastics, but hot glue does

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the magnets are black/brown plastic stuff (ferrite loaded plastic) as used on a lot of fridge magnets nowadays, they're likely to be Halbach arrays where the field is almost entirely on one side - easy to test of course. This is done as it's the cheapest way of making a barely adequate magnet.

If they're metallic, hot glue won't stick to them very well.

If they're solid ferrite, then hot glue should work.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

By "button magnets" I mean like

may well be Neodymium magnets as they are quite strong for their size.

By non-ferrous I mean metal/alloy not magnetic.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I have found hot glue to be fine on metal as long as the surface area is large and not oily

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a picture frame made to cover a cast-iron fireplace opening and thought to hold it in place with magnets. A safe was in the fireplace so access was needed. I used about a dozen small Neodymium buttons as I had some (and the self-adhesive rubbery fridge magnet strip I tried first was useless). So I drilled blind holes in the back of the frame and stuck the magnets in with hot glue.

Some stayed put but some pulled out when the picture frame was taken off. It seemed the magnetic force was stronger than the glue bond - these magnets are plated (Nickel?) and quite smooth.

So I re-glued them, again with hot-melt, and this time covered the lot with a strip of gaffer tape. This helped keep them in place and the tape thickness probably made a significant reduction in magnetic force.

Reply to
Clive Arthur