Bunding oil tanks

The Environment Agency isn't the only body with an interest here. All the National Parks require bunded tanks for example. (Well mine does anyway but I'm pretty sure the rest do too).

Fire screens and sighting is part of the risk assessment document an OFTEC registered person needs to fill in when commissioning in a new tank.

Reply to
Mike

John,

thanks for this second link. This is the pertinent one and the one I couldn't find as I was looking under CPA rather than Building Regulations.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Oh, and I notice this sentence therein:

"Domestic oil storage tanks serving combustion appliances (boilers) are covered by regulations that may require secondary containment, such as a bund, to be provided for the tank and it?s ancillary equipment (local fill point, vent pipe, sight gauge, taps and valves etc)."

Our two kerosene tanks pre-date the legislation. Our diesel tank which is purely for bulk storage would see to the excluded by the above sentence. It is this tank which is likely to be moved.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

>> John,

My interpretation is that existing tanks are OK from a pollution legislation situation but you are still open to problems if you have a spill. The fire precautions aspect may cause you problems with your insurance company if you ever need to claim:-( something on the lines of oh thank you for your claim form. can you tell us the name of the last service provider. This would probably be followed by a claim against the service provider, which in my case would be rebutted with copy of the job report showing I had advised you of the fire risk and other not to current standards matters Your service provider may not have told you this?

HTH John

Reply to
John