Bunding oil tanks

What are the current regs re bunding please?

Current 1000 litre (approx) tank is metal & end is in sight. It supplies a let flat. My brother has been informed (by oil ch service co) its replacement (same size but plastic) will have to be bunded and moved a long way from the house wall. Also told that even if its end is not fully nigh, it must still be replaced pronto.

Is this correct?

Am suspicious as a check on various gov web sites (incl environment agency) & also on OFTEC web sites doesn't explicitly state that. These sites list some circumstances when it would be required but they don't seem to apply in this case.

A new reg for rented property?

Or someone with an eye on an easy buck?

TIA

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

No idea how this would apply to domestic property but about 10 years ago when working for a very well known large engineering company, it was made very clear to me that all our potential (mainly oil) polluting sources had to be bunded. And funds were found to do it, and inspections were carried out to check that the work was to an acceptable standard. This followed a serious incident within the company in which a local river was polluted, and the fines and remedial works etc. were very expensive. "Duty of Care" with respect to a wide range of environmental matters had to be demonstrated.

I recall that the relevant legislation was not easy to find, but it certainly got our senior management's attention.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Commercial tanks all have to be bunded these days. The costs of the mandatory cleanup costs and likely fine for a failure far outweight the intila extra costs.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You can buy plastic tanks with integral bunds. It about doubles the price though - around £3,500 + VAT for 1,100 litres in a catalogue I have.

My plumbing suppliers say that it is a requirement in all commercial and industrial applications. Possibly a leased flat is counted as a commercial application. The people to ask are your local Council Planning Department. They will know what they enforce in new flats or conversions. You may have to get it in writing to convince the service company, or they may decide not to supply the oil.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

ALL non domestic premises must have bunded tanks. SOME domestic tanks are exempt. The following list of conditions may (if they are ALL met) are what governs the exemption.

Tank serves only one domestic premises (A shared tank is therefore not within this condition)

Tank volume less than 3500 litres

Tank vent can be seen from the tanker during filling

Tank is not located where spillage can enter watercourse or drains or located where ground conditions are such as to allow spillage to run over hard surface such as concrete yard into watercourse or drain

Tank is not within 75 metres of a borehole

Tank is not within 750mm of a combustible boundary such as a fence or hedge (an absence of a fence/hedge is regarded as not complying as someone might then later erect/plant one, a wall is OK)

Tank is not within 1800 mm of an opening into dwelling, low eaves or a flue outlet. An insignificant opening such as a small air brick is not normally considered a risk

There are also requirements for tank bases to be secure and properly made. The OFTEC website can help you here

Only if it is within 1800mm of a hole in wall such as window or door Or eaves in a bungalow). A fire radiation barrier screen extending past the edge is acceptable.

Also told that even if its end

Only if you agree, Buliding Regs are not retrospective . However if there is spillage you are open to prosecution under the Control of Pollution act if some jobsworth reports it. Kerosine evaporates!

Jeesus! I can sell you one that size for about £700 plus VAT, you prepare the upgraded base and install it. A steel tank identical to the old one would be around £150 plus VAT and if given a decent painting (especially where inaccessible later) before the swap will last around ten to twenty years. Steel tanks are still perfectly acceptable!

No see above

Go to a more sensible oil company, there are plenty looking for business. I think someone is hunting for work.

Reply to
John

[...]

Hmm. With a borehole within the (not very extensive) garden boundary none of our four tanks (2 kerosene, 2 gas oil) meet the middle condition. One, tucked away at the side of the house near a non-opening window fails to meet the other two.

You added that the building regs are not retrospective. When did the above regulations come into force?

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

So even if you put the tank in the middle of field (away for water courses, hard standing, bore holes etc) it still doesn't comply because someone might put a hedge/fence across the field at some future date?

Or by "boundary" do you mean the legal boundary of the property?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , nightjar writes

You can buy 1225L bunded titan tanks for £659 +vat but incl delivery.

Reply to
Dave

If you want all the latest regs etc. Go to the Oftec website and download:

are the same docs that Building Control are guided by

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have recently had a tank installed and it is only 10m from a well, but down the hill a bit. I was very surprised when the BCO said that I did not need a bunded takn as they are twice the cost

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thats not uncommon. When you need to renew them is the time you have to meet all the parameters

Before the print date of my handbook :-( Take a Google at Control of Pollution act

You can build a masonary bund usually for less than the difference in cost between a steel tank and a bunded plastic one

Can you provide a fire radiation screen between the tank and the window?

Reply to
John

They're covering their arses, a tank failed along the coast a bit (assuming we're talking sussex here) recently and 200 litres plus IIRC was lost into the ground, all attempts to recover, at 100K plus costs have failed and the aquifer (sp?) is suspected to be contaminated.

The oil supply company is being held partly responsible as the old steel tank that failed was in poor condition when last filled and they should have refused to do so....

Reply to
Badger

In a Marina we use a boat sprung a leak in a fuel line. The bilges=20 gradually filled up with neat diesel until the automatic float switch=20 kicked in, the bilge pump sprang into action, and diesel was pumped into=20 the marina.

Local council had a field day and spent upwards of a week on a clean up.

Boat owner was presented with a bill in the region of =A312,000.

(Checked your 3rd party insurance later ?)

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Oops. That should have read 1,100 gallons. I wrongly assumed that all numbers given were in metric measure.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>" >>You can buy plastic tanks with integral bunds. It about doubles the price

1100 gallons is also above the amount allowed to be stored domestically now anyway. I believe it's 3000 lites but if you stay below 2500 it's easier to meet the regs. We have one of the Titan bunded tanks and it wasn't much more expensive and gives one peace of mind. Once told it was bunded the BCO just nodded and moved on to other things.
Reply to
Mike

What about re-siting them? This in an entirely hypothetical question of course! Also we are looking to reduce the number of tanks to one diesel, one kerosene. The diesel isn't a problem as the tank is merely a holding tank with a dispenser attached. But the kerosene might be a problem if any future oil-fired CH system requires sole use of the tank. Do modern boilers need the full head from a tank?

Yes, this is possible. I assume a masonry bund is just a lined brick "pool" in which the tank/s sit? I also assume it has to be capable of accommodating the entire contents of the tank/s if there was a leak.

It would depend what the nature of such a screen would be. At present there are two windows, one to the side which could be easily screened, and one above which might be more of a problem.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Any new installation will need to comply so your relocation will also :-( As you will need a bund anyway because of the borehole all your tanks will need containment. Any oil boiler can operate with a suction lift to the burner by use of wither a tiger loop dearation device or a two pipe system. The actual lift permissible is dependant on the installation conditions but is limited to about 1.5 metres normally. Underground tanks are possible but there are stringent conditions to comply with beauracracy.

Brick or concrete or "breeze" block. A solid concrete floor and the inside of the blockwork rendered. A coat of resin based "paint" makes the whole thing liquid tight. Drain points are not permitted so a sump with provision for a pump is wise. The capacity of the bund (not including the volume of any tank supports) should be at least 110% of the volume of the tanks

The normal sort of screen is a brick or breeze wall but other fireproof materials are acceptable such as millboard and I suppose a metal sheet would be acceptable although I've not come across one

Reply to
John

John wrote: > Any new installation will need to comply so your relocation will also :-(

[...]

John,

many thanks for your comments. It has given me a fair amount to think about when I get around to rationalising our tanks.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

I have done and according to the Environment Agency's pages on this act:

"For domestic oil storage, ie on premises used wholly or mainly as a private dwelling, the Regulations only apply to containers with a storage capacity of more than 3500 litres"

This would suggest that the regulations do not apply to my situation at all (all my tanks are less than 3500 l). There are no further provisos regarding boreholes, fire screens and sighting from the filler vehicle.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

This means that you are not likely to fall foul of the environment agency just for having the tanks. - It doesn't mean they will smile benignly if you have a spill and it gets reported:-(. The OFTEC and BC standards will apply if you change things. I'll make a few further enquiries to see if I can clarify things. In the meantime this may help The Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) (England) Regulations 2001

?lang=_e

Reply to
John