Building Regulations re:Spotlight installation

Hi!

I wish to replace some pendant light fittings with low voltage haloge spotlights. Among the instructions with the light fittings is a not about the new building regs as of Jan '05. It says that...

"You don't need to be a qualified elctrician to make changes to you home's electrical system, but the work must be done in accordance wit the standards in the Regulations.

You do not need to notify your Local Authority if you do mino electrical work such as:-

-replacing or reparing a socket or light in any room

-adding extra spurs or lights to an existing circuit (except in kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)."

From reading this, my understanding is that it is ok for me to instal low voltage spotlights in place of an existing pendant light, and tha I don't need to notify the BCO, or even have it checked by proffessional, providing of course that it complies with th regulations.

Is this correct, because I think I have read otherwise somewhere on th web? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

-- Jquinn

Reply to
Jquinn

AIUI yes, provided that (a) it is sold as one CE approved assembly (i.e. you are not making up your own lighting from transformers, conductors, and luminaires, which you might be doing in a commercial display application), and (b) not in a bathroom/kitchen etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain