Building regs re positioning of boiler flu?

The building regs have something to say about where an flue for a boiler can be positioned, in relation to windows, etc. Can the relevant section be found online anywhere?

Actually, I don't want to position it anywhere near a window; I want it to go straight out through a cavity brick wall, to appear about 8 ft above the public pavement outside. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,

Duke

Reply to
Duke

Here:

dom

positioning there. Anyone know which it is?

Thanks.

Duke

Reply to
Duke

AFAIK it's not in the building regs as such; this comes under British Standards which Ed Sirett has kindly (if a little dodgily! :-) ) made available on his website at

(or

It's pretty turgid stuff though - you'd be better off consulting the user-friendly version which will surely be included with your installation instructions.

Sounds fine in principle to me, but there might be other issues (eg proximity to a boundary). And where does your pressure relief drain go? That might be an issue 8' above the pavement!

David

Reply to
Lobster

The installation instructions are the final word on the matter. It is really important to find out what you may do before you buy the boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the pressure relief drain. I could route that into a nearby bathroom sink waste pipe. Would that breach any building regs or otherwise pose any problems?

Duke

Reply to
Duke

Thanks for the sensible advice.

Duke

Reply to
Duke

Pretty sure that's not allowed - again the installation instructions should specify. For a start, I think the point of discharge must be clearly visible, so if a dangerous fault condition develops it doesn't go undetected.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Seems reasonable. Thanks. I wonder if having the overflow pipe end above a wash baisin is acceptable...

Duke

Reply to
Duke

There are 11 services to connect to a combi boiler (9 to a conventional one).

It is almost never the case that all 11 are just exactly as they need to be. You have to choose a location that (other things being equal) minimizes the total cost of installation.

Approx order decreasing awkwardness.

Air intake. Flue. Flow & Return. Fuel Cold In & DHW Out. Condensate waste Safety Discharge Pipe. Electric supply Heating control signal.

I would have thought the discharge pipe brought down to ground level outside would have met the rules. A condensate pump ( sub £100) can be used to solve condensate problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for that. A discharge pipe near ground level could be an option.

Duke

Reply to
Duke