Building regs in retrospect - worth the trouble?

I've had two lots of remedial work done on the house due to gross ignorance of previous owners:

1) Re-introduce roof purlin support (all engineering calcs available)

2) Re-introduce ceiling joist support for removed archway between two rooms (only have photos and quote available)

A property I've just sold ran into (minor) problems for similar support work due to lack of Building Regs approval.

I'm coming up to 2 years since the work was done and as I'm getting on a bit I don't want to leave my Executors with unnecessary hassle - though the modern solution seems to be Indemnity insurance on sale.

So am I just raising a can of worms and incurring costs for nothing or making life easier in due course?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Most people just don't bother it seems. I think with the ever changing landscape of regs these days it would be impossible to future proof any work done. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do your Executors *know* the work was done?

Because if they don't *know* then there's nothing to declare in response to buyer's enquiries, and you might be better just losing all the paperwork completely. Would the work be visible to a surveyor?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Big snag is checking any works have been done properly may mean exposing the oily bits. Checking pad stones are the correct size. Uncasing an RSJ to check it. And so on. Not something you'd do lightly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to AnthonyL, Iggy wrote: Executors don't care, they're just selling the place. Successors or Beneficiary Habitants would find great pleasure in a solid place that's well air-sealed and properly or overly insulated. However, the polite and cordial glowing eulogy will happen long before they find out how badly you screwed them.

Reply to
Iggy

Well the additional work to the roof purlins is very obvious, though it isn't "date and time" stamped.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Yes that's a good point. The roof purlins is well documented and inspectable but the ceiling support has been plastered and painted over - though I do have photos of it being installed.

Seems as now I'm satisfied the roof and ceiling are structurally sound it's time to misplace the paperwork.

I have moaned on here before that no-one at the time, surveyors, builders made any mention of Building Regs at any time before during or after the work.

Reply to
AnthonyL

But it was just a repair though wasn't it?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But surely only the regs at the time the work was done (started?) matter? it can't be rejected retrospectively, and assessment is by the standards applying at the time. Or is that not how it works?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It is still how it works. I finally got a completion certificate on my house last year, and the building inspector really didnt want to know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've missed the point.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Ah yes, of course.

Reply to
AnthonyL

replying to AnthonyL, Iggy wrote: I didn't think so, but I was a little to vague or broad. If the property's sold no-one cares what you did or didn't do, as it's common to have to fix most any house...as you discovered, possibly after 40-years of no resulting problems. On the other hand, if relatives are moving in, a compliant and corrected place would be a pleasure. Though, I see your point on my last part. I could've typed better with an "only if you did nothing" would they later find out how screwed they were.

Did I still miss the point or just lack a segue? Or, was the point of your question really just the costs and efforts? I believe and practice, if you have the means to fix, then it's always worth it for people's safety. However, the Regulations are only the Minimum Requirements, for the current use and filled room loads, not the best nor any universal safeguard guarantee. I think you made the right choice, regardless of whether anyone notices or not.

Reply to
Iggy

On the sale of a property a questionairre is required which includes details of work/improvements carried out and any Fensa/Building Reg certificates. I'm sure you know this.

My Executors, likely to be either my wife of grandkids will need to deal with this. It would be easiest for them, if the house is to be sold, to have all paperwork neatly in place. It seems from this thread that it also would be easiest for them if all paperwork was missing. At the moment the paperwork (details of work) exists in the "house file" and lacks Building Regs.

So whilst you say "Executors don't care" I don't want my Executors to have to go through unecessary hassle even if I'm not around to see it and that's the point I felt you missed.

Reply to
AnthonyL
[19 lines snipped]

TBH, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

We sold my M-I-Ls house a few years ago, after she went into a home, so went through all this (admittedly as Attorneys rather than Executors).

You just hand over what paperwork you have and say "That's it." [shrug]

No-one cares. The only queries were over access through the side passage which there was never any paperwork for anyway, and we had to swear that "Jane Doe" and "Jane F.H. Doe" were the same person, since what paperwork we did have had both names on it.

Reply to
Huge

I don't see why 2) needs airing as its not a change to the original structure.

This may be worth putting on uk.legal or the moderated group.

If an executor sells the house, they are not obliged to provide the same details as the owner-seller.

I can't recall the term that is used, but in essence it means they are not expected to furnish the same level of detail as an owner-seller.

Reply to
Fredxx

Writing 'we have no idea' is not hassle in my world

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just to add that the owner/seller doesn't have to fill out the questionnaire.

The house can be sold "as seen".

This may reflect on the final price, but if you are selling a "doer upper" then all the fine detail may be irrelevant.

Sometimes the purchaser's solicitor asks loads of pointless questions just to seem keen and proactive.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Paperwork on *this* matter :-)

Lots of other paperwork on non-contentious matters will inspire confidence that all the paperwork is there.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm the "doer upper" otherwise the issue wouldn' arise

Yes I found that out with the house I recently sold. Pages of questions about the shared sewage system, access, building work (including similar rectifications to those I've had to carry out here

- why do folk think it's safe to remove the bottom chimney breast without support?) and at the end of it I had merely had to buy a ?15 Fensa indemnity for some windows that the previous owner had a "I don't believe in Fensa" installer do.

Reply to
AnthonyL