Building Regs Full Plans - when is payment due?

Hi all

We engaged a professional to prepare, submit and negotiate to final decision a "full plans" Building Regs application - the plans duly went in to BC and *very* shortly after a bill arrived from said designer asking for payment of the agreed fee in full on short terms.

Given that (AFAIK) no negotiation (if any required) has had chance to happen yet, and no decision from BC is due for another 6weeks - would you pay the designer in full?

At the mo' I don't feel like coughing up essentially "in advance" - any comments/suggestions what to do?

NB We don't want to rattle cages too hard as we hope to use their contacts to get the work done....

thanks in advance Jim

Reply to
jim

That is what you agreed to. So why don't you want to pay for the service?

Was that part of the agreement - in writing?

You're not, he wants payment for the services you requested and agreed to. I bet you just don't feel like paying, which is different.

It could backfire if you do not pay - he will simply use his contacts to say , "don't go near him he doesn't pay up for a job".

Reply to
Rob

Your assumptions are incorrect.

No. When I get the negotiated final decision from BC which is what I want - then surely it is time to pay? I don't want to pay in full YET beacuse they haven't finished the job yet... i.e. I don't YET have full plans *approval*

nothing covering this in writing - if there was I would have read it and not bothered to ask the questions would I?

Yes I am - see above - they haven't completed the agreed task yet so why do they expect to get paid in full *in advance* of completing the task*?

You would lose your bet :>)

If his contacts also expect to get paid in full before they have finished work then that would be no real loss....

JK

Reply to
jim

You get back with them, remind them that the engagement was to include the negotiation to final decision and ask why they are asking for money in advance of the final decision - remind them that you will be relying on their best efforts if any negotiation is required, and this is at least as much part of the contract as the preparation of the plans.

You could offer to pay them an appropriate amount (mebbe 50%) for work completed to date - with remainder payable on notification of final decision.

Reply to
OG

IIRC when you submit full plans to Building Control - a cheque goes with them.

Reply to
dom

Yes that's right, I've already sent a seperate cheque to cover that (as agreed).

Reply to
jim

Re-read the first sentence: "...and negotiate to final decision...". The service hasn't yet been completed.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon