Building Regs and Demolition

Hi

I have planning permission to demolish an extension to the side of my house (was a shop) to put in a driveway. It has just occurred to me that I had better not start it until I have filled in a form of some kind. Does anyone know whether I can start taking the roof off today, or had I better wait?

Thanks

Reply to
tom.harrigan

You can check the building regs here:

they make no mention specifically of demolition work - but Part A structures may be important if the part you are considering demolishing has an role in supporting the main building.

Similarly fire safety/electrical/plumbing/drainage/ventilation etc changes that impact on the main building may be a BC issue.

If you can be reasonably certain they do not, they I don't see why you shouldn't proceed to strip the roof.

Reply to
dom

You have _Planning Permission_? Have you _also_ obtained 'Building Control's' permission? There's two separate stages;- obtain planning permission -(what is going to look like) _then_ submit detailed engineering drawings and calculations to describe _how_ it's going to be made to look like the planning permission. There's two separate fees involved .

Is this what you mean by "filled in a form of some kind"?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

It sounds like a small scale demolition of a brick lean-to. If so, a buildings notice should be sufficient - unlikely to require full plans.

However as BC is mostly concerned with safety and energy efficiency - if the remaining structure is obviously unaffected - there's nothing much they can ask him to change or rectify.

I would strip the roof over the bank holiday and then phone BC on Tuesday to check whether a notice is required before demolishing the masonry.

Reply to
dom

Hi

I recall filling in a form in late 2005 explaining what I was going to do, and enclosing a cheque for a rather large amount of money. No drawings though, they seem not to be required under a Building Notice Application if you are not putting up anything new. I intend to build a garage, but it's of a size and position that makes it none of their buisness. All I got back from the Building Control was a letter regarding electricians and trickle vents.

Their insistance on me using a qualified electrician was a bit annoying. It turns out that the council refuse to inspect an electrical installation even after taking the money to do so.

Tom

Reply to
tom.harrigan

They can refuse (or waive their right) to inspect, but they can't refuse you your completion certificate to comply with Part Pee.

Google this group for the ODPM's official guidance to BCOs telling them so.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm even more confused; you originally wrote " ... I have planning permission ..."; now you're inferring, but not stating, that you've got no such thing - but you're doing something under a "Building Notice".. You apparently know what you're doing ' ... makes it none of their business .. " so; why are you asking in this newsgroup for advice on 'forms to be filled in'. FWIW; my BCO sent a pile of yellow forms that required me to notify them of individual work packages and required them to 'inspect and sign-off each stage before starting the next. [That's fundamentally what ' ... cheque for a rather large amount of money' is for.

A neighbour who built--

-- an extension under 'Permitted Development' regulations; no planning permission but Building Notices regime, was told that if the BCO didn't like what he'd built they had the authority of telling him to demolish it.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I believe the yellow cards are a convenience (so that they can advise whilst there's a good opportunity for remedial action) rather than a requirement. AIUI you can build the whole lot and then (providing you haven't covered foundations,closed void etc) have it inspected. In practice, I used the yellow card to tell them I was starting, phoned for the first inspection (excavations), they were happy with that and said we could skip the next inspection and just give them another bell when I had all the structural components in place.

If "didn't like" means "doesn't meet the building regulations" then yes, they can demand remedial action until it does, or if there's no viable way to set it right, then demolition. Ultimately they can have the work carried out if you refuse to, and send you the bill.

Reply to
dom

HI Brian

I have planning permission for some extensive changes to my property. I did this building notice thing (I think the cheque was for a few grand), because you have to. The letter I got from Planning and Development services goes into great detail regarding windows, mentions electricians and nothing else. I know that I have to phone them up before I do some unforseen work on my foul drains, and I would have to if I were laying foundations etc, but I can't find any info regarding demolition. They also made no mention about plumbing, or internal alterations.

The reason I'm asking this newsgroup is that there might be someone who knows whether I have to notify them before I start taking the roof off the old shop. Perhaps I'd better wait??!!

tom.harrigan

When I spoke to them about this, they said they refused to inspect, and that I had to provide the certificate. Presumeably the certificate I provide them has to come from a qualified electrician, but not necessarily a Part Pee (as you so delicately put it) registered one. If I'm using a Part Pee registered one, then what did I pay them for? I really don't want to pee them off by telling them their job, as one or two of the BCOs I have spoken to are utter idiots, and morons tend to be vindictive.

Tom

Reply to
tom.harrigan

They are wrong, provided you notified them of the work in advance and gave them the appropriate inspection dates (first fix before making good, etc)

Put in a formal complaint of maladministration to the Council Chief Executive and the Local Government Ombudsman

The URL is here (Thanks to John Rumm for the reminder) and see the thread "How to get a NICEIC Part P after extention build" starting here:

1.26

Owain

Reply to
Owain

here:

section 1.26 >

Thanks for the link to the very interesting discussion. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I was fairly conversant with the rules and the reluctance of some councils to adhere to them. I find the insistance of some councils on using an NICEIC registered electrician, as opposed to one of the 4? others decidedly dodgy. I can sympathise with their reluctance to inspect. When someone gets electrocuted and they get sued, I can see a blanket refusal to certificate from all councils.

I prefer not to antagonise my local "Planning and Development Services" department while they could antagonise me more!

Tom

Reply to
tom.harrigan