Building a wooden fence?

Having built a couple of fences maybe I should have questioned this years ago, anyhow, I have putin the posts and packed with concrete and next I will add the rails for vertical slats. I am planning to nail this but ask the question as to what sort of weakening effect does thumping nails into the rails have on the posts. Would I be better to screw the slats on although this would be more time consuming. I suppose the other option which wont happen is a nail gun.

Reply to
ss

I assume you are talking feather edge? Personally I use screws but don't find it necessary to drill pilot holes with feather edge. A bit more expensive but more controlled, also it means it is relatively easy to remove a few if you need to for access.

I also tend to screw (and glue) picket fences, but there you do need pilot holes because of the extra thickness of the uprights.

Reply to
newshound

I'd screw every time, almost as fast as nailing, but no shock.

Use TurboGold screws from SF & you don't need any pilot hole at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed. Except (at least for my own fencing) use stainless screws. I detest rust streaks.

Reply to
polygonum

Not sure but the slats will be vertical with a small gap between each slat, at least thats what I am thinking. The wood for the slats came from next doors fence as the posts were rotten and his fence blew down. He could afford just to get someone in and do a new one and I reclaimed his old one. I have dismantled it and have under polythene just waiting on some decent weather now.

Reply to
ss

I've seen some kind of stapler used for speed, but I'd be wary of rust effects in the long term. Of course ou could build the pannels flat and then use those metal arris brackets to fix them on with screws. Very handy if fences rattle in the wind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've always nailed, but held a club hammer on the opposite side of the post to absorb the shock. But then I've never had to put posts into concrete - always been on sandy soil.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

On Thursday 04 April 2013 11:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No-one's said "nailgun" yet?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I did when I dismissed it as an option in the original post as I dont have one and aint renting one.

Reply to
ss

I used st. st. self-tappers from Screwstation - cheap, easy and the pan head is easier on the wood and the brackets. Also means that I can remove a panel (with neighbour's permission) to treat the other side of the fence.

Reply to
PeterC

My mate who runs a local tool hire shop (x2) will sell Paslodes, repair them, but won't hire them out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

using hammer will weaken ..... I used a hail gun with twisted shank SS nails

Reply to
Rick Hughes

My neighbour and I re-erected our fence a year or so ago (simple rails and palings): we used a box of screws we'd bought specially for the occasion, and our cordless drills with the appropriate screw bits: it was no slower than hammer and nails -- in fact faster, I'd say, given that (as has been said) when hammering nails in you need to hold a good old lump hammer behind the point being hammered. We just placed the screw in position and pushed hard when pressing the trigger.

I'd always use screws (in these days of good cheap screws, and fantastic cordless drills!). Get the right length of screw BTW: not too long, not too short.

John

Reply to
Another John

Yes I have decided to go for screwing rather than nails.

Reply to
ss

Definitely more enjoyable... And Easter is over for the year.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes - if you use the st. st. STs the points are rather sharp and need filling off if even a tiny bit too long.

Reply to
PeterC

Aye -- though I meant that if they're too long, you waste a second or two's precious time on each puttin' 'em all the way in!

Rod said:

Though I'm almost too old to have 'got' the first part :-D I mean: 8-<

J.

Reply to
Another John