Builders' Rates - Take 2 ...

Following on from my post of a couple of weeks ago, I finally got the go-ahead from the missus to engage Big Steve (who I've known for many years) and his pal Ed to come and do the back door brick-up and inside make good job, and it looks like the estimates from the good folk on here were all just about on the money - figuratively and literally.
They turned up at 8 am yesterday, and while Steve got going on taking the frame out, Ed got busy Kangoling bricks out for the toothing in. That actually took quite a long time up until almost lunchtime in fact, but not a trace of damage to any other bricks. In the meantime, Steve took a couple of boards out of the floor inside so he could start the blockwork from the concrete under the floor. By the close of play, the blockwork inside was complete, and a piece of plasterboard was dotted and dabbed on. The outside brickwork was 5 courses from the top. Back at 8 am today, Ed carried on with the brickwork while Steve got on with an extra little job that involved Drilling a 1" hole from the airing cupboard into a piece of pitched roof where there is no access to the void, and then lifting a couple of tiles to get in and feeding a piece of 1" flexible trunking into the drilled hole at the top, and through the ceiling below. By the time that was all finished, Ed had just about finished the brickwork outside, so he came in to do the plaster skim. Steve stayed outside and Kangoled the old step off the path and cleared all up.
By 1 pm all finished, and I have to say a really superb job outside and in. The bricks are a really good match and it's hard to see at a quick glance even now where the job was done. When they've weathered down a bit, I think they will be barely visible.
So total time - about three man days exactly as everyone predicted, and total cost £785 so well done all with your predictions !
Arfa
It is indeed nice to hear of outcomes on here. All too often advice is given and we never hear the outcome. Brian
--
----- --
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:09:34 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

At least Arfa got *some* feedback (even if Andy's follow up lacked a smiley to take the sting out of his comment re Kangol versus Kango :-) compounded by Marland's response likewise suffering the lack of a smiley).
It's not just uk.diy that's so afflicted by the lack of 'feedback on the final outcome' postings. It's even worse in the case of sci.electronics.design and uk.comp.homebuilt where such 'feedback' posts tend to be greeted by a deafening silence as I've just experienced in recent weeks - the latest being a thread in uch on advice sought for a decent HDD supplier where I'd reported back on my positive experience of purchasing a 10TB WD RED NAS drive from Ebuyer rather than use an Amazon trader for the sake of a 0.1% saving (an extra 32 pence premium to avoid dealing with Amazon).
I'd had at best, only a passing interest in Arfur's original post but did appreciate the effort he'd made in providing feedback and 'closure' for those who *had* 'given a fuck' and replied to his original post in the first place.
Don't mind me. I'm only taking the opportunity to snipe at the uch and (in particular) the sed groups of which quite a few of their members also post here. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

I'm not sure what you'd expect... you asked if Ebuyer was a sensible place to buy something. We said it was. You bought the thing. It arrived. It wasn't broken. I'm not sure what else there is to say at this point.
Had they ripped you off I'm sure the conversation would have been much more interesting.
Theo (who keeps getting pestered by ebay sellers to leave feedback for transactions which boil down to 'did the thing they were contractually obliged to do' and wondering why the only option for that is 5 stars)
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:14:17 +0100, Theo wrote:

Fair enough but a brief "Thanks for letting us know that Ebuyer are still worthy of our endorsement." or some such would have been a nice touch. :-)
Sorry, that wasn't a good example and worse still (in hindsight), it just makes me seem "needy". I guess you lot were just too jaded about Ebuyer's reliability as an e-tailer to offer any further comment.

Indeed it would have been! There's nothing like a bit of schadenfreude to brighten up one's day! :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 19/10/2018 00:24, Johnny B Good wrote:

I quite like the occasional feedback post (or better still, a here is how it turned out wiki article)... at least you get the feeling that way that at least some practical doing/making/diying/building is going on somewhere!
--
Cheers,

John.
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 04:25:22 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Lots of us have been doing plenty, but cba to put it on the wiki
NT

Quite. It suggests 5 out of 5 is the norm. So why 4 stars worth of varying poor service - but not a way of praising service beyond what you'd expect?
--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Johnny B Good wrote:

There was no sting in it, I did have a smiley initially, but took it out as I don't like the juxtaposition of them with brackets.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:18:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. :-(
--
Johnny B Good

On 18/10/2018 21:18, Andy Burns wrote:

I find some people (not you obviously ;-) get upset when I use a smiley and have it do dual service as a closing parenthesis as well!
--
Cheers,

John.

That's why different kinds of bracket are available.
--

Roger Hayter

Arfa Daily wrote:

Kangol = seatbelts, clothes (and tents?) Kango = GBFO breakers

Sounds good.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:12:16 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

And berets, as I remember!

You should know the drill on here by now, only make a bit of a mistake and it gets chucked right back at you.
GH