Builders banana wall - OK or not?

That was also true for the brickie. unless it's widely out the door casing should cover it. It is better to make the door casings parallel and in the same plane, checked by eye, than to get a true vertical if the original was skew whiff.

Reply to
<me9

Mmmm. Having 'been there', as they say, I wouldn't wish a back injury on anyone. However, there are people who will fabricate any sort of excuse in order to avoid having to admit to a screw-up and deal with it. Some folk just think it's easier (and acceptable) to let the customer stew and hope that the problem will somehow go away in the meantime.

I hate confrontation too, and I strongly believe in treating others fairly - like paying very promptly for work done. But this shouldn't be a one-sided affair. You should always be able to expect a decent job from people working on your behalf. If you don't get it, there are times that you just have to remind others who's the customer in the relationship and just press hard until you receive the treatment and standard of job to which you are entitled.

Whoops - I'm thinking about personal experiences and have drifted onto a soap-box. Sorry. Rant over.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

"legin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

== clip

Legin,

Things move fast round 'ere... I have just had a plasterer arrive to view prior to quoting. The plastering job is much much larger than just this wall. Probably about 5 days total..

Anyway - of the wall.. In answer to the question "What would you do if it were your wall?".. his response was (without hesitation) - "knock it down and do it again". In response to the question "can you fix the problem at the plastering stage?" his response was - "hmmm.. not sure - would like to see it once the lining is fitted".

Obviously I have to balance the plasterer/bricklayer thing here :-) It was good that he didn't say outright "No - not possible to fix".

BTW - I'm the carpenter at the end of the line who has to hang the doors :-) Scary... :-)

Re what the brickie has done... See new diagram on..

This is an attempt to explain what I think has happened. It's an exageration and not the complete story but hopefully you can get a better understanding of what I'm saying...

The lintel was placed in position before any blocks were laid, using Acro props etc... Then the wall was built up towards the new opening. However the bottom courses go away from the "line" as it get towards the new opening. God only knows why! Then to bring it back on course the the upper courses were bent over to meet the lintel. Yes?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Arghhhhh,....!!!! I hate line lengths!!! Apols... Roy

Reply to
RzB

Mike, I think the back problem is real... This guy has been thoroughly reliable so far!!

Yes I do agree with what you say. I too will pay on the button - but would like things done properly.

I'm sure it will all come out OK in the end... :-) Roy

Reply to
RzB

Seems like he has been a bit lax then. Given that the blocks that are attatched to what was the existing wall are presumed to be okay, why not offer a compromise. Ask them to take down and rebuild the section where the door frame is going. If it was my job I could get round this. As a carpenter you must be used to fixing frames to brick work/ block work that is off plumb or a bit skewed. All the best Legin

Reply to
legin

thanks !

Reply to
.

because of dodgy blockwork by 'builders', no doubt.

Reply to
.

Yes good idea for a compromise... If there needs to be bends etc in the wall, anywhere would be better than at the door frame.

Hmm - well I'm not a carpenter by trade... but yes - I can handle things that are off plumb - nothing is ever perfect! However there are limits :-)

I'm sure it will all get fixed in the end !!

Thanks for your help, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Well how's this for a happy ending...

I spoke to the boss man over the weekend and explained that I was a bit concerned with this part of the job, and that when his back was ok we needed to discuss.

First thing this morning the doorbell rings and the brickie is standing on the doorstep. Takes a look, agrees it not right. He has taken half of the blocks down and is currently rebuilding!

Impressive or what!!!!

Roy

Reply to
RzB