BT phone/internet installation to replace cable?

It's a normal terraced house that came with cable TV & phone. There's no physical BT connection.

The main cable comes into the cellar, where it splits to the phone master socket & cable TV connection in different corners of the living room above. Cable internet was added later by running another cable from the cellar through the air brick,up the front wall, tucked under the edge of the roof, & into the 2nd floor room. I've subsequently moved the cable to run on the ceiling of the entry (AKA passage) about halfway down it, & up into the floor & into a deep built-in wardrobe, where the cable modem & my own networking kit are on a shelf at the back. My equipment is connected to the cable modem with an RJ-45 cable.

I am considering changing ISP, & that would involve having a BT phone & internet installation added.

What kind of connection equipmetn does BT internet involve --- is it something that I can connect my router to the same way I connect it to the cable modem now?

Will I be able to get the BT technician to run the internet the same way it is now, if I have the floor open & flexible conduits with strings already in place?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk

Who are you with at present? How much do you want to spend? Why do you want a separate phone line? If it's *just* to change ISPs it could end up costing you more.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Who are you with at present? How much do you want to spend? Why do you want a separate phone line? If it's *just* to change ISPs it could end up costing you more.

You'd probably be better off asking on uk.telecom.broadband

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you're considering moving to BT itself, just don't.

A bit more constructively, it depends. If it's ADSL, you'll probably need a new router with a DSL modem in- but that will probably be supplied (a BT Home Hub). I'm not sure what the termination is if you have BT FTTH, sorry, but again, generally BT will bundle a router.

As for the cabling, it will probably depend on the engineer at the time, but they're generally OK if you make it easy for them.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No reason why they can't install their master socket in your cupboard. However, the wiring up to that belongs to them and you can get put to death by firing squad if you accidentally sneeze on it. (Allegedly)

The router will be a wireless one. Where would be the best place for that for coverage of locations that it might be used?

Likewise, where are your existing wired phones? BTW, some cordless phone base stations don't play well sited next to a wireless router.

Concentrate on getting the arrangement optimal for the router location, not the phone. A neighbour had the OpenReach guy botch the BT line connection into the ex-Virgin wiring, and this was stupidly done without an master socket - so filters everywhere :(

BTW, You don't absolutely need to go to BT for internet or a new phone line install. If you are swayed to consider BT, consider Plusnet.

Avoid TalkTalk like the plague...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

To expand on that:

Site the master socket where you want the router to go, for best wireless coverage. You should minimise the distance from master socket to router.

Run ethernet cable(s) to switch(es) where you want wired ethernet

Run phone cable (maybe the same type of wire as ethernet) from the phone side of the master socket to your existing wired phones (eg the wire that goes into the Virgin master socket). If you use a filtered faceplate on your Openreach master socket you can just plug this cable into the phone part of the faceplate to hook up to the Openreach phone signal.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Um, how does that work? Surely positioning your router in a central location with fewest obstructions gives you best wireless coverage.

Having your master socket near that location too is good but doesn't influence wireless coverage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The primary limit on your speed is the quality of your DSL line. Depending on how grotty your exterior line and internal wiring are, having a stub from the master socket can cause impedance mismatch and/or loss of signal = loss of DSL speed. Once you have signal into the digital domain at the router, you're safe(ish).

That means normally the logic is: put the router near the master socket, to minimise DSL line issues. Wireless comes secondary, because usually fast wireless (100Mbps) v slow wireless (20Mbps) is less of an effect than dropping from say 17Mbps to 10Mbps on the DSL speed.

But for the OP, they're getting a new master socket installed so they can put it anywhere that's convenient. Freed from the constraint of the master socket, the best place for the router itself is wherever it's best for wireless. Getting Openreach to locate the master socket next to it minimises DSL carriage over the OP's wiring, and DSL problems upstream of the master socket are Openreach's problem not the OP's.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

BT will install a master socket. You should be able to get them to put it where you want. Ideally, the master socket should have a filtered faceplate to which you can connect your router (or modem + router). The wiring upstream of the master socket is BT's property and you are not supposed to interfere with it. Any extension wiring downstream of the socket should be connected to the faceplate and is your responsibility.

See

Or search that forum for other similar threads about 'new master socket'

Reply to
Michael Chare

The line does not have to be BT and neither does the internet... The physical installation is done by Open Reach (or a sub contractor), but that is not the same as having BT as your ISP.

Depending on which ISP you go with, they will often supply a ADSL router that has the modem and router in one box, usually with wireless and a few wired ports as well.

You may be able to get them to stick the master socket where you want. Much depends on how helpful the installer you get on the day is. Some just want the easiest and quickest install for them.

Not sure I would want to go back to ADSL/FTTC if you have the choice of cable broadband... Pick a decent ISP (not BT!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is not the same as wireless coverage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wi-Fi speed is also effected if you use a slow connection between master socket and router.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTR there is a specified max distance from the current entry point, something like 15 metres but it is a while since I looked it up (on Bt's website)

Reply to
bert

There is no relationship between the speed of the WiFi network and the speed of your internet connection. Devices on WiFi or WiFi and LAN or LAN only will talk to each other at the LAN speed or the limit imposed by the WiFi.

Devices talking to the internet will be limited to the speed of the internet but data passing over the LAN or WiFi will be at those speeds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doesn't seem to be a problem here. There is about 30 m of cable (Cat5e) from the master socket to the filter for the POTS side. The filter is at the router.

Remember that if you aren't using POTS you don't need a filter at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only if you have BT Internet as your ISP, which I think you quite strongly advise against. Other ISPs may provide an ADSL modem, free and/or chargeable and/or an option.

FTTH? Do you mean FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), not much of that about at affordable prices. FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) is what most people with "fibre broadband" actually have. I have a feeling the network provider does supply the VDSL modem but far from sure.

Personally I'd have the NTE at a convenient place close to where the line enters the property. I then have control of all the internal wiring.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sheesh. Wifi speed is not the same as wifi coverage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Some do as part of the bundle. Others don't

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can have Wi-Fi coverage with no internet connection at all too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OpenReach no longer supply modems, the ISP may provide a combined modem/router, or they may leave it to the user to provide.

Reply to
Andy Burns