One cable for internet and TV

I have a question. There is one cable coming to the room that I have sublet for internet and TV. Every time I wanna use TV I have to unplug the Internet and vice versa. Is there a way to get an aparatus to use both of them at the same time? I am in canada and TV internet cable is rogers

Reply to
chsungur

No. It's impossible. Go back to dialup for internet access.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Subsciribed to Rogers for TV and Internet service? Do you have cable modem?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ask at Home depot for a 'video splitter' or 'cable splitter'. If the signal is already split a lot in your building, there's a chance it may not work. Then you need a (more expensive) signal amplifier.

Reply to
Randy Day

Go get a 1gz splitter. The cable company should give you one tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

He'll also need two new, assumably short, lengths of cable to go from the splitter to each device. Let's at least save him that second trip to the electronics store, cursing us for not giving complete information (no, it's not obvious, if you've never done it before).

Reply to
Shane Glaseman

they'll probably hand you a splitter and some connecting cables at your cable company.

Reply to
buffalobill

I have a splitter and a switching splitter. A switch may or may not be needed to keep signal strength high. Call the cable company to see what they recommend. Any hardware store should have what you need to make unplugging unesesary.

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe I'm too used to connecting those things to see it as non-obvious, but you can look at the splitter (while it's still in the package for most) and see that it needs cables on all connectors.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It certainly could just be me. But I've had too much experience telling people "do this," without holding their hand and taking them step-by-step... only to find that they couldn't make leaps that I thought were obvious. Not that the OP here will have that problem, but why not just cover the possibility?

Reply to
Shane Glaseman

I'm with you Mark. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't had enough VCRs TVs and such that they don't have a drawer full of cables. Just be aware most of the time these "free" cables are junk.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have been reading this thread - and have what may be a dumb question...

Does the same cable that connects to TVs also provide internet service in the USA too? We have cable (Bright House) for TV but it is basic service so there is no box with it...we just hook up the TV to the cable. In another room, we have a cable with modem for the internet (Road Runner)...and it is connected to a router which is then connected to the computer. I had no idea the same cable could do both things. If we wanted to hook up a TV to the RR cable, could we do that? I mean, buy a splitter, or perhaps figure out a way to setup a wireless connection to the TV.? Just wondering.

Reply to
Dorot29701

In the US the same cable that has the TV signal also has the cable internet on it. YOu can take your cable modem and hook it to any TV connection in the house or you could take any TV and hook it to the wire going to the cable modem. The only place you may run into problems is if there are splitters or amplifiers in the lines. The cable modem usually needs a higher level than the TV does to work. Also the amplifiers may be one way amplifiers and will not work on the internet.

In otherwords the cable comming into the house has all the signals on it. Usually a single splitter is used to send the maximum signal direct to the internet modem and the other side of the splitter is then sent to all the TV sets and other splitters for them if more than one TV is in use.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, but you would only see 1's and 0's.

In various sequences.

Actually, I think it depends on the way the provider has it set up. In Dallas I think there are two cables coming into the house, but apparently in that part of Canada, there is only one.

I think you could only use a router for tv for any digital stations on the cable, and not for any other stations. All of the internet is digital (1's and 0's) so it works.

BTW, I was kidding in my first line above. You would see some mixture of black and white dots or areas, parts might look different shades of grey, I think, but they wouldn't actually be the numbers one or zero.

Reply to
mm

Lets not forget that these cables need to be high quality RG-6 or better, not the crappy 30% shielded RG-59 junk with push-on connectors that you get in the box with your VCR, which should be thrown in the junk pile..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Cable internet is on low VHF (the same basic band as Ch 2-6) on Comcast in SW Florida. It all comes in on one cable. Compared to old style TV the internet is not that much bandwidth. NTSC TV is a bandwidth hog. That is why the cable company is pushing digital.

Reply to
gfretwell

RG6 or RG59 makes little difference for shorter cables. Push-on connectors are leakier and less physically secure. I always use screw connectors except for short tests. Same for crimped cable ends (with a good crimper).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I really have a lot of cables around, coax, A/V, phone, cat5, etc... I don't automatically throw away things that could be useful.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Here (in east Texas) I have cable TV (not digital) and cable internet. The first thing the cable connects to when it enters the house is a

1:2 splitter, with one side connected directly to the cable modem.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

NTSC takes 6 MHz per channel. Digital takes 6 MHz per channel, more if you want 1080p or higher resolution. They're pushing digital because the set sellers want us to throw away all our existing televisions and buy new ones.

Reply to
clifto