One cable for internet and TV

I'll agree that at those lengths, the loss of the cable makes litle difference, but what I'm concerned with is the shielding of the cable.

Cable TV is a closed system.. it uses the same frequencies within the system that are also used by other users of the RF spectrum. Using inadequately shielded cables can lead to interference to the cable tv signal from outside sources, and more importantly, can lead to the cable tv system causing interference to the outside services, which can include public safety, broadcast media, cellphones, amateur radio, etc.

Bottom line: use high quality low-loss cables, preferably with double or quad shielding, and 95-100% shield coverage.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

analog NTSC takes 6 MHz for one analog program

digital cable TV is divided into 6 MHz channels but each 6 MHz channel can carry 10 or more standard def programs or 2 high def programs on cable..

downstream cable modem signals are the same as digital cable TV signals

Mark

Reply to
Mark

And keep the shield complete at the connectors. The twist-on connectors can do a poor job of that. There was an obvious improvement when I started using the crimped ones.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The cable internet I have uses channel 99 (frequency somewhere between

6 and 7) for downstream and T-14 (frequency less than channel 2) for upstream.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The local CBS station (analog on channel 19) here has digital on 19.1, and UPN on 19.2 (the digital is actually ch18, but they call it 19).

And upstream uses a smaller band, normally below the frequencies used for channel 2.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They haven't got enough programming material to run a single program all day as it is.

They'd never be able to do digital if they didn't force everyone to buy new stuff. If it were optional, few would adopt it, especially at today's prices.

Reply to
clifto

As soon as we all get net connected DVRs the only thing oin "TV" will be old Matlock reruns. We will be buying shows ala carte, The faster you want it the more it costs. Some stull will still stream "free" for the channel flippers but it will be where all the ads are. Cable companies will just be bandwidth providers. Networks will just be content producers like HBO. "Broadcast" will become AM radio.

Reply to
gfretwell