Refrigerator - no power - what yo check ?

Looking at the schematic. It looks like a bad acapcitor will prevent power from getting through to any of the circuits on the fridge. I have an Ammana that is totally dead - no lights or anything. If I jumper power from another circuit it comes to life.

Any ideas ?

Derek A.

Reply to
Derek

What do you mean 'jumper power from another circuit'? Another household circuit? I assume you tested the outlet and its good, right? If yu mean an internal circuit in the fridge I then someone else will need to jump in. Jeff?

Reply to
No

No - I jumpered a circuit on the back of the fridge. And it started up. I removed the jumper and its running fine. My guess is a component in the power path to the circuit that feeds the lights is the culprit. The capaciter looks like the only thing.

Derek.-

Reply to
Derek

No. Dont see that at all, however, if you mean that the compressor would not start, and you put power from another part of the unit that was getting power to it, that would lead one to think you had either a bad connection somewhere, or a Klixon thats bad. Id be looking at both....check all your terminals, and replace the Klixon if it has one..and most do.

Reply to
aka-SBM

I pulled everything apart near the compressor - checked the overload switch

- and it looks ok. What ever is cutting power - it is doing it to the control mechanism as there is not even a light on inside the fridge when the power goes out. If the overload protection was kicking in - it would just whack the power to the compressor.

D.-

Reply to
Derek

Ok...you know how it is with text, and the not being there factor......

Dumb question....did you check the outlet..and I mean, REALLY check the outlet?

If its not shot, and the cords not bad....and you had power on another part of the unit..Im thinking bad connection at some point. Bad neutral, or something.. The caps only there to give the compressor a kick start..or if its a run cap, to maintain it running.. Seriously check from the point of entry of the power, meaning, from the outlet going into the unit, and from where it goes to either the wire nuts that all the connections meet at, or at the power block where the spade connectors or such connect.. Total loss of power like that, yet, power on one other part seems more like a connection issue.

Reply to
aka-SBM

buffalobill

The fridge ran all night without a problem. So it has to be the power cord or a loose internal connection. I jiggled wires while it was shut off and it didn't fire up.

Jiggling the power cord did not shut it off - given that the whole unit looses power - anything jump out that I should look at first ?

Thanks

Derek.-

Reply to
Derek

Just wondering if what you think is a capacitor really is. The capacitor if you have one should be just across the motor windings.

I am thinking of some sort of relay that is having trouble picking up.

Reply to
Rich256

As it turns out - the molex connector at the back - there is a loose wire there. If I jiggle the wires there it comes back to life.. Unit has been runnning fine for 18 hours without a problem.

D.-

Reply to
Derek