BT

It would be interesting to see what happens if you attempt to move your phone number to a VoIP supplier. Your broadband ISP might still cease their service, because the 'landline' has died, (unless your POTs phone supplier simply allocates another number to the line on transfer day ?)

Is your landline number recorded anywhere in the account detail of your broadband connection ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Ah, I see. From you original comment I thought you meant that you would have to cease your broadband in order for you to migrate your number to another VOIP provider. What you meant was that if you migrate your number you will probably lose your broadband as a consequence.

Sorry! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

My (AAISP) 'line rental' for a VOIP number is £1.20 a month. Landline calls cost 1.5p/minute, mobiles are 4p/min, and on-network is free. Everything is billed per second. None of this 'call setup fees' or rounding up to the nearest minute, which are BT pricing wheezes.

Another network (Sipgate) offers free 'line rental', 1.18p/min to landlines and 9.9p/min to mobiles, or £9.95pm for all landlines and mobiles.

Last month I paid 17p for calls.

Do you really make 762 minutes of calls a month?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

You simply sign up for a broadband supplier other than BT. There are plenty.

Reply to
charles

And then when you transfer the pstn number to voip, so the physical landline ceases? what happens to the associated broadband?

Reply to
Andy Burns

PlusNet is OK. I think the only spam filtering they do is on their webmail, and I think you can control that.

Reply to
Max Demian

They filter on POP/IMSP too, but you can adjust the spam filtering between 5 levels, or off completely.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Deep packet inspection.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*Their* VOIP service ('digital voice') requires their router, unless somebody manages to convince them to hand over the SIP credentials or hack them out of their router.

But nothing says you have to use it. Another router like wot I have can connect to SIPGATE easy as pie

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, absolutely easy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I swapped from EE to BT full fibre a couple of weeks ago. No problems at all and Alexa worked better than ever on a 100x faster connection.

The full reboot of various IoT device also fixed multiple weird lock up faults they had developed over the past few years for good measure.

There is a known problem of 5GHz band vs 2.4GHz band device connections not seeing each other with some BT routers.

Thread recently here and in uk.legal.moderated

Reply to
Martin Brown

So our family would rack up *way* more than £9/month, we have regular long (i.e. 30 minutes) calls to mobiles, that £1.20 each call.

Like I do on my mobile,

If they were to mobiles that would be £30/month. Most if not all of our long outgoing calls *are* to mobiles.

Your £1.20 a month leaves £7.80 for calls. That's less than 200 minutes to mobiles. By the way what do you get charged for calls to

0870 and similar numbers? On our plan they are included too.

If there were only two of us a tariff like yours might make sense but given that there are up to five of us here, plus lots of frequent family visitors who make long calls home, I think our £9/month works better. It also means I never have to worry about people spending a long time on the phone.

Reply to
Chris Green

I am back with EE now and had no trouble setting up the Sonos and Alexa units.

Reply to
Sysadmin

They are the only one at present who supply a fixed geographic phone line and fibre to premises. I'd have been quite happy to have stayed with EE but they were not interested in providing landline POTS.

The choice was fibre to premises and lose my existing geographic phone number or move to BT (EE support even facilitated the move!).

Their supplied by default router is different and it can cause problems for some people with certain tetchy devices if both 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wifi bands are available. Various people have run into trouble with it.

It seems to have just about all the facilities of a sophisticated router if you dig deep enough into its menus. Most users simply don't bother.

I found no problems at all with mine (very recent convert) since only BT could provide both a copper geographic line *and* full fibre FTTP service. Wifi coverage is marginally better than EE's or my old router.

I'm glad I had it (POTS) during the recent Northern Powergrid is FUBAR powercut. Fibre obviously no good without electricity. Wife's iPhone died inside 20h and once bricked refused point blank to charge from the cars USB 5v supply. It needed a proper Apple fast charger to restart it.

DAB radio ate batteries at the rate of 4x AA per 8 hours. Turned out I only had 5 spares in the house - rest were in LED torches.

Reply to
Martin Brown

OK. If I want to call a mobile, I use my mobile.

I don't remember the last time I called one of those, since businesses etc have moved to 03 numbers now. On checking, the tariff for 0870 1234 xxxx is

7p/min.

Fair enough. I think you might be an outlier though, given a lot of people don't make much use of their landlines, and for long calls use Facetime/Whatsapp/Messenger/Zoom/etc.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Why, our DECT phones are **so** much better than a mobile for actually using as a phone I'd never choose my mobile over the landline when at home.

My mobile versus landline usage is probably the reverse of yours, I spend maybe £10/year on my PAYGO mobile.

Yes, 0870 numbers are getting fewer now, though there are also those sneaky 0844 ones, etc.

Reply to
Chris Green

Given even I have moved on from using my mobile just as a phone, I've changed from PAYG to monthly. Because data use on PAYG costs a great deal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm on the idMobile 3-2-1 (like the old Three deal) so it's 1p per Mb. I don't do any significant downloading on the web so it works perfectly for me.

Reply to
Chris Green