BSP size confusion

I ordered an airbrush hose with connections specified as '1/8" BSP Female and 1/4" BSP Female'. I don't yet have any other fittings to test it with but I do have a ruler.

Obviously I can't measure them very accurately with a ruler but the internal diameters are approximately 3/8" and 1/2". Is that what I should expect or did they send the wrong part?

Thanks

Reply to
N_i_c_k

sounds right, IIRC external thread sizes are 1/4" larger than nominal internal size of the corresponding pipe, so your internal threads will match.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good - thanks.

Reply to
N_i_c_k

BSP thread sizes

Mark

Yup the thread sizes can be confusing... the diameter refers to the nominal *internal* diameter of the pipe. When you thread the end of a pipe, the threads end up being on a much larger diameter due to the double thickness of pipe wall you need to add to the internal diameter.

So a 1/4" BSP pipe thread will actually be about 1/2", and 1/2" BSP thread will be closer to 3/4" etc.

Reply to
John Rumm