BSP Fittings ??

Hi guys

Can anyone explain how BSP fitting are sized ?? I've got some compressor fittings that have a 1/4" female connector but when I measure the diameter of the 'hole' of thread it looks to be a good 1/2" What exactly is being measured when they say this is a 1/4" fitting.

More specifically I have a spare air tank that has a 1 1/2" 'hole' what size fitting should I get for this ?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Pipe thread sizes are based on the bore of old style, thick wall iron pipe.

With newer pipe manufacture techniques and different materials etc, it is rare to measure anything 1/2" about 1/2" pipe or fittings.

Look up thread tables for BSP on the web and use these to help identify your threads.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Which, of course, makes much more sense than the current method of designating pipes by their outside diameter, since they (normally) carry their contents down the inside :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

More a shift of emphasis - when pipe sizes came originally from the requirements of flow calculations, the bore was, of course, important and a fitter would ensure all went together. Now no-one does flow calculations and fitters are less skilled, the external physical size is more convenient.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

A 1/4" bsp male thread will have a major diameter of 0.518" so this looks like a 1/4" bsp.

Don't have info for 1.1/2" but if its nearer 1.3/8" its 1" bsp. Next size up would be 1 1/4" bsp at about 1 5/8", but 1 1/4" isn't a common size AFAIK.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It's probably one-and-a quarter-inch BSP. This has the following dimensions:

Full diameter of thread: 1.650" Core diameter of thread: 1.534 (which is waht you see if the measure the inside of a female thread) TPI: 11

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks to all for the info, checked out a couple of websites and those tables make sense now !

I measured the thread again with a vernier caliper and it's 1.53" so looks like it definitely is a 1 1/4" fitting.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim