Broadband Service Check

Yup. Ihave had my router saying 'showtime' and DLS up..but poking further revealed no frame relay connectivity to the ISP.

At which point I tried BT 'we don't take service calls for non BT openreach' and the ISP 'it's a BT frame relay problem'

Great.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In general the ISP and backbone stuff is completed first: its is after all a matter of keying a few things into a few tables. The LAST thing that happens is a man physically goes to the exchange and wires YOUR phone line to the DSLAM..

The sequence is probably

- your order gets received.

- Your money is taken.

- the ISP sets up a series of accounts and places an order on BT for access.

- BT fake up a frame relay link from PORT XXXX on the DSLAM to the ISP frame relay target.

All this is done from computer screens.

- a man in a overalls goes to the exchange and runs a copper pair from that port on that DSLAM to your phone line.

Voila!

The moment that light goes green, you should be up and surfin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't talking to you, d*****ad.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And it's the ISP's responsibility to make arrangements with BT Wholesale to fix it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

ISPs are reluctant to pass on the problem to BT as they get charged for it if no fault found. Which means some simply won't take any action until after some time - and several complaints.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It may be their responsibility..but judging by the poor oik that was on the end of the phone, that tends to get them precisely nowhere.

BT is reluctant to admit to major outages in their frame relay backbone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've only had problems twice with Pipex in about 5 years and the first one (not the second documented above) gave me a very helpful bloke on their helpline. Because I was then only using the Acorn I couldn't access the Router setup, but he still did his best. Reckoned it must be a BT problem and he would report it. Phoned me back shortly after to say there was indeed a BT outage in my area and it would be sorted overnight - which indeed it was.

If your ISP is using BT they are a customer and are entitled to complain if they're not getting the service they pay for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)