British Gas Rip Off <ANSWER>

Well I did the math on this job by getting the prices for all the bits and bobs (and no, I didn't get them to install any rads) and adding a supposed labor charge

I matched their total by adding about 5% to the trade purchase price of all parts, (I'm sure I've missed out a fair bit, and they did a small amount of building and repair work) and assuming that the 2 guys here are charged out at £45 per hour. On top of everything I did get a 210Ltr Albion recovery tank for the price of the next smaller one down.

They may be expensive, but, the work is very tidy, they arrived on time at

8am each day, I get a 6 year warranty, good call out times - should I need to call them, 6 years low rate payment option (which was the deal clincher), and after seeing so many 'Rogue trader' programmes on TV I just didn't want to risk using anybody else.

Thanks for all your help

BTW - Stay Virus Free by getting a Mac!!

Reply to
D.L

What is the trade purchase price of parts? When buying electrical supplies I know that the trade price is not the lowest price. With the buying market of BG I would assume they are making much more the 5% on parts.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And application free :-(

Reply to
Suz

Not so. MOST stuff you really need works on a MAC. Drawing and creative art works bette.

You can even run a virtual PC in a box on one.

Sadly most games don't, tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got a Mac but it doesn't keep my PC virus-free... Must be doing something wrong somewhere...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

I think that should say.

Stay Virus free, use Linux and avoid Microsoft.

Actually use any mail client/new reader other than Outlook.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

OK, but no need to use Linux (a relative newbie). There's always, FreeBSD (rock solid), or a non-UNIX style system is even better (plenty of UNIX-specific exploits exist too).

Reply to
Bob Eager

The recent spate of 'Microsoft' nasties didn't spare all Macs either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nary a problem here....not a Mac, not Windows, not Linux....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It was indiscriminate.

I was getting about 2,000 a day until my server sorted it out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As was I - until I changed my email address. The one at the top of this post no longer works. (I've corrected the spelling of my surname for the new address.)

Sheila Viemeister

Reply to
S Viemeister

My wife got a load - which I filtered out for her.

I got seven in total. Maybe because it is known that the worm won't send to email addresses with the word 'spam' in them. My email address ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) is valid, but fulfils that requirement.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But presumably they wouldn't 'work' on a Mac any more than on my Acorn? And they are thus just a form of very annoying spam.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

True - the payload wouldn't be runnable - but having your inbox filled with the it (with varying subject lines and from addresses) is very annoying, though I only got a handful of them on my personal account, and my work's email server filted them all out from my work account.

David Hearn

Apart from an increase in background noise from virused people via email, this piece of news failed to make it to uk.comp.sys.mac where I hang out. Noone there can remember seeing a live Mac virus is over 4 years. I have seen two in my time (user since '86), the last one was so benign we only discovered the source computer was virused because of an infected zip, there were no symptoms.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Depends what sort of games you like.

Lots at

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Oh yes. But when you get so many in a day the annoyance is extreme, it virtually ties up your internet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But it ties up the internet - or ISP - regardless of the computer you use. I'm with Argonet, which is almost exclusively Acorn, and it was brought to its knees through shear weight of the incoming worms a couple of weekends ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It caused me quite a few problems - I use an old YahooMail account when travelling, and that has a mailbox limit of 6MB. My mailbox was filling up within 5-12 hours most of last week.

Most of it wasn't the 142k virus emails themselves, but the bounce messages relating to messages which had my address spoofed into the header - for some reason still 142k, though for no visible reason.

Reply to
Chris Hodges