Briggs & Stratton 16 HP engine-points actuating rod not moving enough ?

Without having to take apart this engine- can someone please refresh my memory, as to what cam or eccentric actuates the points rod on a Briggs

16 HP engine, vertical cylinder ?

It's in a ' 72 Mont. Ward lawn tractor- it had intermittent then no spark- and the points are not opening/closing enough to run the engine. I've had a 9HP apart before, but that was a LONG time ago-

whatever makes the points actuating rod move in/out appears to be worn to the point the rod barely moves back and forth

also, do they make an electronic conversion to do away with points on this engine ?

thanks

Reply to
trippingtoo8track

Yes, this is from a US site but ive bought them at my local supplier. They will work in any engine with only one magnet in the flywheel. Even my beloved Ransom :-) (Second one down)

Mark

how do I find out how many magnets my flywheel has- without having to remove the entire engine.

Reply to
UNIVERSAL MIND

Take the flywheel off ? In fact most single cylinder engines without lighting only have one. which make of engine do you have.

-
Reply to
Mark