Brick Cladding

I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with what I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad. (The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc. In anticipation Thanks MBS

Reply to
MrBlueSkye

I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with what I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad. (The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc. In anticipation Thanks MBS

Reply to
MrBlueSkye

I don't know of any retailers who sell brick slips or cladding, but there are lots of manufacturers and installers:

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I've no relevant experience, but typing "brick slips" into Google (with the string delimiters) produces 864 hits, or 605 if you search for "pages from the UK."

Brick slips can be used as the finishing layer on some external solid wall insulation systems, overcoming the objections to a rendered finish. So if you're going to brick clad anyway, and it's not a cavity walled property, consider adding some insulation.

Reply to
Andy Wade

=========================== It's not clear from your post whether you're simply looking for a better looking brick finish or for a complete new look. Removing the original 'Corrie' style cladding will almost certainly involve some damage to the underlying brickwork which has already suffered damage ('scored for keying purposes'). Getting a good finish with new brick cladding over damaged brickwork is likely to be quite difficult and even if the finish looks good it might conceal poor pointing and cavities with possible water ingress. You will have no way of knowing until you get damp patches on internal walls.

In this situation the best thing might be to have the house rendered after removing the old cladding. Render is supposed to be going out of fashion but if it's done well it gives a good weather-proof coating and a nice clean look.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 281 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Hear here

But that I cant second. Render on walls that dont need it is just not a good idea. Far better to patch repair the bricks if the damage isnt excessive. All you need is mortar with a good colour match, and careful use of it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222