Bread slicing

The one I got with one of my bread makers is very sturdy indeed but I never use it at all.

I use a bread knife and that works fine.

Yeah, its much too solid when frozen.

I originally used the bread knife I had inherited from my parents which had quite small teeth but eventually replaced it with another cheap one from the supermarket which has a wavy edge. Both work fine.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

The blades in bread slicing machines at bakery?s are like hacksaw blades but have coarse scalloped teeth. You can get bread knives with similar cutting edges but the problem comes when they start to blunt, they are difficult to sharpen. In addition on the bread slicing machine the loaf is held in compression at the ends whilst it is being pushed through the cutting frame something that is difficult to achieve by hand.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Those smaller Sainsburys without an in-store bakery are are supplied by the nearest large Sainsbury that does have a bakery. The smaller stores should have bread-slicing and bagging machines, mine does.

They also have a pile of paper bags intended for bread items which are handy for buying tangerines etc without using those re-usable netting bags that we are now expected to buy. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Don't all DIY-ers have their own power bandsaw ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The germans have a solution :-)

Andrew

or for a cleaner cut, though it might struggle with frozen bread -

I have used these for cutting 4 inch thick 'celotex'. Brilliant.

Reply to
Andrew

But they're out of use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a bench mounted circular saw I used for cutting decking planks ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This is a proper circular saw bread slicer. I want one. :)

Don't miss the video.

Reply to
GB

This is a proper circular saw bread slicer. I want one. :)

Don't miss the video.

==== I must admit I would love to have one. I am rubbish at slicing bread:)

I make all our own bread but D. has to do the slicing:))

Reply to
Ophelia

If slicing a loaf before freezing, re-stack with alternate slices upside down.

Usually makes it much easier to separate slices whilst still frozen. (Won't help so much with "white sliced" Chorleywood, but does with boules, cottage loaves, etc.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

how come some sliced loaves you buy have one thick then one thin slice....do they do that on purpose ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Joshua Snow pretended :

Not just that, but the blade freezing to stick to the bread and jams.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thanks for all the replies .... after a quiet afternoons googling, I think I've found the best solution ...

(It's a simple but very sturdy looking guide)

The reason I am sure it's probably just the job is it seems impossible to find at any price :)

Also, much as I like to fly the flag for Britain, I see it's US-made, and generally I have to admit the Yanks really know how to make stuff. Possibly too well :( The wheelchair SWMBO bought from a US company 25 years ago is as good as new. (In fact the company that made it went bust as they couldn't sell that standard of quality through US insurers who were importing cheaper models ...)

Reply to
Jethro_uk