bread machine scrap - any dough mixers out there?

The Chef comes with them as standard... It also has the power to do a decent job of it unlike many mixers.

Reply to
John Rumm

I hear what you say - but try telling that to someone with arthritis. I know I didn't mention that in OP but can't say everything - I tried to keep to what I was asking about (as per Man and B&Q pointed out).

Basically the build quality of the MR bread maker (the one I have anyway) is poor quality - admittedly it didn't cost a fortune, and we've only used to make 1 loaf every 2 days. What we use are the bread "kits" which suit us very well but I have found that even with energetic kneading for 20 mins (really!), I personally, I think the bread machine (dough-making only) does it better. Well I know it does because of the resultant loaf. The MR uses a stamped (stainless?) crossbar that is keyed to the drive shaft. The cheap wire circlips failed (both of them) and the crossbar tongues failed not long afterwards. If this single component has been a machined part (not stamped), this thing would still be going I am sure, even if cost a few £ more. I couldn't be **sed with the warrantee for the amount involved (I know I know) - but I really would just like to get a robust dough-mixer...

It's not

Reply to
dave

And the Kenwood can be used for a number of other tasks, while the bread machine is a single-purpose space-eater.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I know, I have some. They don't do the same job as dough maker, they just knead it for you. Its not really worth it you can knead it yourself in a few minutes and it takes that long to clean the mixer afterwards. A dough maker lets you go away and do something else and come back after an hour or two and make the bread shapes. All the bread machines I have seen also make dough (well they would have to). The one they had in lidl last month made several different kinds of dough. I don't know what the programs do for the different kinds but it did gluten free dough. Only £25.

Reply to
dennis

Try reading the thread you are replying to.

Nearly all food processors can be used to make dough, even without a hook. Hence they qualify as a dough mixer. It is what the > Anyway, the penny finally dropped that what I would really like is a

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Yes but the subject line asks for a dough mixer not a dough maker as that's what he wanted (as, it turns out, he can't do the kneading). Hence a solid mixer with a dough hook might be just what he wants (especially if it does other stuff as well). You have to answer the question asked not the one you think it ought to be :o).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

My bread maker does bread, cakes, jam and probably some stuff I have forgotten about.

Reply to
dennis

No I don't, I can offer the best advice I have, the OP can ignore it if he wants. This isn't B&Q where they will sell you the wrong thing in the hope you come and buy the right thing later.

Anyway the OP asked for something to replace a bread maker to make dough, a mixer only does a bit of the job.

Reply to
dennis

As you clearly can't be bothered to read the original post here's the relevant bit again:

"Anyway, the penny finally dropped that what I would really like is a decent dough mixer - not a bread making machine at all."

You could give your best advice on flower arranging but it wouldn't be relevant.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well a food processor with dough hooks is not going to make his dough without lots of fiddling about. Making bread dough is a multi stage affair which he will have to do himself if uses a mixer/processor. He will have to chuck in his mix and mix it, then knead it, then take it out and put it into a warm place to ferment, then he will have knead it, then put it back into the warm, then knock it out, then put it in the warm, then shape it, then put it in the warm, then cook it. I doubt he wants to do that. You may think he is asking for a mixer. I think he is asking for a dough maker that gets him to the shape it stage. Any more and it would be a bread maker.

Reply to
dennis

I read it and clearly you are being a pedant. Just because I choose to interpret what the OP actually said doesn't mean I am wrong to offer advice that you don't agree with.

So if he wants a food mixer why didn't he ask about one? He specifically wants a dough "mixer" to replace his bread machine which he was using to "mix" his dough. Except of course a bread machine doesn't just mix the dough it makes it up to the final rise.

Why would flower arranging be any use when making dough or do you think that is what he should do while waiting for the dough *maker* to finish?

Reply to
dennis

Have you tried it? I've done it many times. Perhaps not as good as hand kneaded but perfectly passible. Not that fiddly at all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

As does the packet of grated cheddar from my local 'One Stop Shop'.

Reply to
chris French

The Panasonic breadmakers are extremely reliable.

You could just use one to make dough, or to bake the bread as well.

Reply to
Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@h5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

Which bit of "what I would really like is a decent dough mixer" are you having difficulty with? Note he said *dough mixer* not *dough maker*

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No one is asking them to nor stating that they do.

Bingo!

And you bread maker magically cleans itself, does it?

You can still do otther things whether waiting fot he dough to rise in abread maker or in the airing cupboard.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The better bread machines will do as much or little as you want of the process. They can mix only if that is all that is required.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry to hear about the arthritis, I had septic arthritis once and I can still remember the pain. The rest of your logic is good then. I hope you can sift some help from the rest of the thread and find a good bread mixer.

Blessings, R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Really?

I've been making bread 2 or 3 times a week for more than 30 years. I find that my Kenwood mixer does an excellent job, with no fussing. I dump in all the ingredients (_not_ a mix), and turn the machine on. In little more than 5 minutes, the dough has been mixed and kneaded. My mixer has one of those plastic splash guards - I leave it in place while the dough rises. When it's risen, I turn the mixer on for a second, to knock down the dough, remove it from the bowl, shape it, and put it in a pan to rise. I don't find the need to put the rising dough in a warm place to rise, as a longer, slower, rise gives a better flavour, IMNSHO.

Doesn't seem particularly fiddly to me.....

Reply to
S Viemeister

and hand kneaded dough unless you are bloody tough and fit, isn't a patch on machine torn dough ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher