Brands - interesting

Google search to check on the type of shampoo to use in a VAX found the

site.

Interested to see that;

Milwaukee AEG Ryobi Homelite Hoover Dirt Devil VAX

Are all owned by the same group.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Owned, or distributed by?

Reply to
Bruce

the

> Interested to see that;

I knew about the vacuum cleaner companies.

What I have noticed that all the US products made by Hoover are now available in the UK only that there have the Vax name on it.

Example is the Hoover wind tunnel and the Vax Oasis carpet washer which where only available in US under the Hoover name.

Reply to
David

All evidence of a global manufacturing and supply chain. Something that British Industry failed to exploit when we had a manufacturing industry ("What make something for 110 volts!!")

What is a brand nowadays? My Asda £3.00 kettle has the same element as the Russell Hobbs branded on which preceded it. Places like Comet get British sounding names put on things (Bush, etc) to make us thing we are buying a British Brand.

Reply to
John

About 17 years ago I saw the asian cycle manufacturers' dogalogue: Weinmann and GB brakes, Union Flag stickers (some with 'Made in England' on)...

Reply to
PeterC

Many UK Hi-Fi etc goods of the '50s and '60s etc were dual voltage - whereas US ones were 110 only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , John wrote

Not at Comet :) The Bush and Alba brand names have recently been purchased by Argos so that they can brand no-name, made in China, electrical and electronic goods with a familiar name.

Many of the well known 'British' Hi-fi speakers brands are Chinese owned and the speakers probably made in the factory

Reply to
Alan

Bush and Alba have been like that for years haven't they?

Of course Currys/Dixons went the other way with the Matsui + Saisho names. Though my experiences with Matsui videos have always been positive, whereas I'd not touch Bush and Alba kit.

Reply to
Clive George

Matsui and Saisho (and Hinari) I always took to be cheap tat, whether fair or not. And I wouldn't have bought anything labelled Bush or Alba either. But IIRC Goodmans and Wharfedale also have gone the same way although they were once reputable makes, but my mind never quite caught up with this.

On moving here to Australia I had to start again with electricals and stuck to the quality makes (Sony, Panasonic) even if I was paying more for the badge.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The conclusion being that "Brand" has nothing to do with "Manufacturer"

Reply to
John

In message , John wrote

It is not unknown for a manufacturer to buy in third party goods and re-brand them as their own.

A recent example of the use of branding to sell to different markets is with the Freesat boxes. You can buy a Humax box, a Bush box, a Goodmans box or a Grundig box. Each has a different price tag. Three of the boxes are however exactly the same design, the same electronics, the same software and come from the same assembly line. The only difference being the logo on the box and in the handbook. You can also tell by the time and date of publication that it took someone around 15 minutes to re-brand the instruction manual. (By the way, the Humax box is the odd one out).

Even 15/20 years ago a common VCR chassis was sold with up-market and budget end of the market branding for different prices.

These days a brand name doesn't mean much but nor does a manufactures name. Judge each individual piece of equipment on its own merits. Even if a manufacturer has a range of goods it doesn't mean that each one in the range shares the same parentage or technology.

Reply to
Alan