Braincell supplement needed

Last year I purchased a dowling jig. It is pretty good for 8mm and 9mm holes. But it has nothing to support small diameter drills.

I currently need to drill 3mm holes into a defined target. My attempts at dpoing so freehand have been unsuccessful.

What I need is a sleeve to fit inside either an 8 or 9mm drill guide tubes. I have tried plastic plugs (rawlplugs) and tried to find a suitable ballpoint pen case.

I need inspiration.

TIA,

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Choose one from 4:

- get a local machine shop to make a bush

- Use a pillar drill (or hand drill with set squares and care) to drill a hole through a small block of something hard'ish and then use that as a drilling guide.

- buy one of these:

- search eBay for "drilling guide"

Reply to
nothanks

I have a pillar drill (drill stand with an old electric drill). I often use it with drill I need to use to drill through a block of wood of maybe 50mm depth. I then use this block of wood as the drill guide to keep a drill bit in a hand drill truly perpendicular.

If trying to centre the hole in a fairly narrow work piece modify your DIY jig to get...

This centering technique is how my dowling jig can be used.

A different DIY approach

alan_m

In the past I've used panel pins rather than the dowels as shown in the video. To position the hole in the wood jig accurately temporally tap in a long thin nail/pin in the position you want to drill and then place the hole in the jig over the nail/pin.

Reply to
alan_m

Like this, perhaps?

eBay item number:285074697456

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Fit 8mm drill bit to bench drill, align your 8mm jig bush with it and clamp down. Now put 8mm rod in jig and 3 mm bit in drill. Sorted. Or do you lack a bench drill? Smooth the surface to be drilled, centre punch it, start off with a centre drill, these are short and stiff so don't wander like a regular twist drill bit.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Try gwr-fasteners.co.uk.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, they definitely could have solved it and at a reasonable price.

Thank you.

I carried on searching and to my surprise found a vendor who had the last 3mm bush that fitted my dowel jig. I won't get it until Jan 27 but I have other stuff to get on with. It was the last one they had, this side of China!

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

This is for the middle of a long board so a nench drill was out of the question. Anyway, I have tried spotting the holes twice and had to bore out the result and full with a 9mm dowel before starting again.

Thanks anyway.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Yes, I would have gone for one of those but found a 3mm dowelling drill sleeve.

Thank you.

Reply to
pinnerite

The bench drill was for making an accurate 3 mm bushing for your jig, not for drilling the hole.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Oh!

Reply to